danger to a new born kid?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When the kid(s) are born, make sure they get attached to a teat as soon as possible after birth and drying. And make sure they're actually getting something out of the teat. The first nursing is colostrum which the sooner baby gets it the better, but really must happen within the first 12 hours or so. Sometimes momma's teats can be "plugged" or really thick colostrum and the kids can't get anything out. Don't "milk momma" before the kids try, as you don't want to waste the colostrum. If you're going to bottle feed, always make sure the kids is warm before feeding. Never feed a cold kid.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You have time to get ready, so that is good. Selling an unweaned goat at an auction, shame on the seller. Poor thing, amazing that she didn't die from stress alone. Are you going to milk her?
If we do milk her I would have to be the one to do it -_- whenever the topic is brought up everyone but me does the whole finger on the nose not me thing....

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When the kid(s) are born, make sure they get attached to a teat as soon as possible after birth and drying. And make sure they're actually getting something out of the teat. The first nursing is colostrum which the sooner baby gets it the better, but really must happen within the first 12 hours or so. Sometimes momma's teats can be "plugged" or really thick colostrum and the kids can't get anything out. Don't "milk momma" before the kids try, as you don't want to waste the colostrum. If you're going to bottle feed, always make sure the kids is warm before feeding. Never feed a cold kid.
So if I attempt to feed a cold kid I will do more harm then good? Ok good to know .... I'm glad I joined I wouldn't know half what I know now

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The one thing I'm worried about is I'm still in high school and my dad works as well so we would have to convince his fiance to keep an eye on her... ( she's kinda squeamish sadly enough idk how much she would be willing to do)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is a copy/paste of one of my old posts.
I know I have more than listed on hand but it's 1am and I can't remember everything at the moment. I'll add anything else later.

This is my kidding kit, you don't need to go out and buy ALL this stuff LOL. Over the years we have added in a few things here and there just to have on hand. I bolded the things that should be first to go into your kit :) The Jumpstart paste like $7.50 a tube, it has saved some of my babies before and I always get a tube around kidding time.

You should always have a basic kidding kit when you are expecting baby kids!

My kidding kit includes:
Towels! Lots of em!
Paper towels
Trash bags
Floss (for the navel)
Iodine+ a cup
Scissors

Rubbing alcohol- I use this to clean the scissors before cutting the navel
Flashlight
Thermometer
Bulb Syringe

Bottle/nipples
Frozen colostrum
Disposable gloves
Shoulder length gloves
Lube
CMT mastitis kit along with TODAY mastitis treatment tubes

Weak kid syringe-I haven't had to use it and I hope I never will, but it is a great thing to have on hand.

Small dog sweaters for the baby goat kids- if it is cold outside. I also keep "hot hands" warmer and heating pads around. A hair blow dryer as well.

I also keep on hand-
Jumpstart Plus paste, I got it from TSC and I don't think a few of my kids would be alive without it. It was a rough birth and they were very weak and this stuff helped a lot.

Nutri-Drench

Molasses- I give some in some warm water after the doe kids.

Penn G* (antibiotic)

LA 200* (antibiotic)

*These antibiotics aren't really for kidding- I always keep them on hand and if the doe had an issue such as a retianed placenta or stillborn kids, an antibiotic may be necessary.

NOTE: Do not give molasses or Nutri-Drench to an animal with a fever, it will only make it worse.
OK so for the most part I understand why so much of this list is needed but ... could someone explain a situation so I can get an idea how things are properly used? Sorry for the inconvenience... like the floss and is the molasses fort the doe? If so how does it help? Things like that .... I'm just curious

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The floss is to tie off the cord in case it is bleeding or too long. You never cut a cord, you should always tear them, but they are tough. The thought is that cutting them makes them bleed and tearing doesn't but you can tie if off it needed.

The molasses is just to give the doe added energy especially if she has had a long hard kidding.

If a kid is cold when you feed them they can't digest the milk, it just sits in the stomach. Always check the mouth first if you come across a kid that looks weak and probably hasn't nursed. Hopefully you will never need to know that.

Tell the fiance' to "suck it up" :duc No place on a farm for squeamishness when an animal depends on you. Hopefully no problems and hopefully when you are home. Maybe at least she can check on the doe and make sure all is well and then you can come home if there is an emergency??? I had cameras in my barn when I was at work so I could check on the does, but it also wasn't cold. California doesn't really get cold, not like Ontario.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, you do the best you can... :hu and then hope for the best. If you check before school then as soon as you get home, well, then that's the best... hopefully it will happen over a weekend when you can be there. "Doe code" states that she'll hold off until you're frantic, then wait a day or two more for good measure. Then she'll try to have her kid in the middle of the night, when the temp is as cold as it can possibly get, during the worst storm of the century... :confused: Just the way it "seems" to go. You'll be checking her every 2 hours and she'll have the kid right midway between visits, just so you miss it. o_O

If you want to milk her, you can do a little right from the start unless she has twins or trips (trips are unlikely as a first freshener-FF). A Nubian or Sannen goat is a true dairy animal that can produce in excess of a gallon or more of milk a day. A single kid won't drink that much by themselves, but twins or trips can. They don't drink all at once but off and on throughout their wakeful hours. After a couple of weeks, you can separate the kids from mom over night then milk momma out in the morning for your use, then put the kids back with mom for the rest of the day. Typical milking periods for goats on test are 305 days. You can milk her as long as she's capable or until you want to "dry her off" to get her ready for mating again. Milking is a whole nuther subject you can read up on.

If you feed the kid when cold, they can't digest the milk (it will ferment) and the kid could bloat, which can kill them. Putting a finger in the kids mouth will tell you if they are warm or cold.

The floss is to tie off the umbilical cord. You dip the naval cord in the iodine to prevent bacteria from getting in there and going up the cord and infecting the kid. Called "naval ill" it can be a killer, and would require vet intervention and antibiotics.

The molasses is for the doe if she is getting weak. Like any sugar, it will provide a rapid energy boost. You don't want to give sugars to the kid as a general rule right after birth.

Spend some time in the threads and you'll learn a bunch. You'll also learn that there are alternative ways to do things, and not everyone agrees on any one thing. what's good/works for one might not work for another.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:D posted same time...

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The floss is to tie off the cord in case it is bleeding or too long. You never cut a cord, you should always tear them, but they are tough. The thought is that cutting them makes them bleed and tearing doesn't but you can tie if off it needed.

The molasses is just to give the doe added energy especially if she has had a long hard kidding.

If a kid is cold when you feed them they can't digest the milk, it just sits in the stomach. Always check the mouth first if you come across a kid that looks weak and probably hasn't nursed. Hopefully you will never need to know that.

Tell the fiance' to "suck it up" :duc No place on a farm for squeamishness when an animal depends on you. Hopefully no problems and hopefully when you are home. Maybe at least she can check on the doe and make sure all is well and then you can come home if there is an emergency??? I had cameras in my barn when I was at work so I could check on the does, but it also wasn't cold. California doesn't really get cold, not like Ontario.
Ya we've had some wicked winters so far.... I know she will check on the goat ( she loves newton to the extreme) just she has ocd and blood and bodily fluids freak her out... I am sure for a fact that she will let us know what's happening if it happens while I'm at school... I'll have my g2 soon and will be able to drive

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is it true her behavior will change the closer to the delivery she gets? I know in on thing that I've read is a while before the labour even starts she could seem agitated or seem to be looking for something and depending on the goat making more noise than usual... she is certainly more cuddly than she has even been.. every time I enter the pen she attaches herself to my leg ( not even an inch of space between us ) and wait for me to stop moving then will lean on me or rub up against me .. she's always been affectionate but seems more so lately