Dangerous day at the farm front

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
I have just developed a new, healthy respect for cows!

My DF and I were working together to separate a steer for the market. The steer in question is normally a docile, friendly guy, but the moment you agitate him, he'll kill anything that moves. In fact, he nearly killed me yesterday.

He was running straight for me and I was pinned with my back to a fence. I held my ground (how I got the courage, I don't know how). If I hadn't yelled 'HEY!' at just the right moment, I wouldn't be here typing. I mean, that guy weighs 1250 pounds! That's almost as much as the bull.

Speaking of the bull, my DF and I had accidentally moved the bull in with the steer when we were trying to get him into the trailer. It was nerve-racking. The bull was making threatening noises and showing absolutely no respect for my dad's presence. It didn't help that a thunderstorm was breaking at that moment too.

I kept telling my dad that the bull had been having a mean streak lately. He didn't believe me until now. GRRR!!! :he Maybe he'll listen to me more often.

Anyway, that was my day. Nearly getting killed and watching a family member get charged by a 1300 pound bull. I have a new, HEALTHY respect for cows, ESPECIALLY THE MALES.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad you are all okay.

One really gains an appreciation for cattle and what can happen when confronted with a situation like this.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Glad you are all okay.

One really gains an appreciation for cattle and what can happen when confronted with a situation like this.
Definitely true! Whew...

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive been in your position a few times.an its no fun.an you learn to respect the mean an rough cattle fast.glad to hear that you an your dad are ok.

Little Cow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow! Glad it turned out okay!

The closest call I had was while I was working as a calver on a ranch (college job). When I worked for this big Angus ranch in Wyoming, we had 100 bulls in a large corral waiting for the annual sale. Unfortunately, the calving barn was on the other side of the corral. When we checked the cows, we would drive one of the big farm trucks through the snow and the sloppy mud/manure mix. No problem, until the truck broke down and we had to walk through the bull corral during the 2:00 am cow check! At first, the bulls looked confused that we were there without the truck and just eyed us from a distance One bull suddenly got cocky and charged and the rest of the bulls followed. We were close to the fence, but it was solid and not easy to climb. As my partner tried to scramble up the fence, I yelled, stomped and glared. The young bulls stopped. We edged towards the barn door as I continued to stomp and glare. Once we got into the barn, our knees shook. We only had one more trip through the corral to get back to the bunkhouse. By then, the sun was just beginning to rise (busy calving time) and the bulls just stared at us from the far side. Must have thought I was just too crazy to mess with! The ranch got that truck fixed right away. I know full well that I was lucky. It was only a matter of novelty that kept them at bay. You can trick them now and again, but nothing is better then a well-planned, strong, chute system to keep you out of harm's way when cattle are under stress.

I also worked on a huge bison ranch. We didn't do anything with those animals without a rifleman standing by.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Little Cow said:
Wow! Glad it turned out okay!

The closest call I had was while I was working as a calver on a ranch (college job). When I worked for this big Angus ranch in Wyoming, we had 100 bulls in a large corral waiting for the annual sale. Unfortunately, the calving barn was on the other side of the corral. When we checked the cows, we would drive one of the big farm trucks through the snow and the sloppy mud/manure mix. No problem, until the truck broke down and we had to walk through the bull corral during the 2:00 am cow check! At first, the bulls looked confused that we were there without the truck and just eyed us from a distance One bull suddenly got cocky and charged and the rest of the bulls followed. We were close to the fence, but it was solid and not easy to climb. As my partner tried to scramble up the fence, I yelled, stomped and glared. The young bulls stopped. We edged towards the barn door as I continued to stomp and glare. Once we got into the barn, our knees shook. We only had one more trip through the corral to get back to the bunkhouse. By then, the sun was just beginning to rise (busy calving time) and the bulls just stared at us from the far side. Must have thought I was just too crazy to mess with! The ranch got that truck fixed right away. I know full well that I was lucky. It was only a matter of novelty that kept them at bay. You can trick them now and again, but nothing is better then a well-planned, strong, chute system to keep you out of harm's way when cattle are under stress.

I also worked on a huge bison ranch. We didn't do anything with those animals without a rifleman standing by.
Incredible story, Little Cow! That's pretty intense, getting charged by a herd of 100 angry bulls. One is scary enough.

You really don't know how much bravery it takes to stand your ground when being charged until it actually happens. And when you finally have it happen, you realize exactly how truly lucky you are to have gotten out of the scrape.

It really makes you love life!

PS: A bison ranch? Cool!

Little Cow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have some pretty funny stories about the bison ranch. They are not domestic, that's for sure. We felt more like zookeepers than ranchers!

One thing that made my experience easier is that those were young, relatively inexperienced bulls that hadn't tested me before. With your close call, that was much more personal and calculated. I'd say much more dangerous, too. Glad it worked out! :D

Little Cow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Maybe all that experiences I had when I was young is why I like the little cows! :lol:

Actually, I really learned about Dexters when I worked for a large animal vet. I loved how spunky yet docile they were compared to my other experiences with wild eyed, head tossing, snorty cattle.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Little Cow said:
I have some pretty funny stories about the bison ranch. They are not domestic, that's for sure. We felt more like zookeepers than ranchers!

One thing that made my experience easier is that those were young, relatively inexperienced bulls that hadn't tested me before. With your close call, that was much more personal and calculated. I'd say much more dangerous, too. Glad it worked out! :D
Yes, you are right, it was! That steer knew me well, and what's worse, he knew he was stronger than me. He knew all it would take is one little push, and I'm goin' down. He was about a foot or so away when I yelled. He swung his head to the side, which stopped me getting smushed. It was REALLY a close call.

Well, I won't have to worry about him anymore. He got taken to the slaughter today, so I'll have my revenge very soon when he is on the grill. :celebrate