dangerous lumps? or not?

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two 4-year-old nubian does. Both are in their third lactation. One recently had mites. As we were shampooing her the other day we noticed lumps/bumps under her belly. They feel very soft, as if they are filled with fluid. They run in fairly straight lines to her udder. At first I was really freaked out, imagining all sorts of things, but that night on the milking stand we noticed the second goat had the same thing. Now I am not sure. My son thinks they are veins or milk glands or something. I have no idea. I was going to take one of them into the vet today, but decided to check with all you more experienced goat people on here first. Is this normal? If not, what could it be? I am very concerned, but trying not to panic. Please give me your advice.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
nmred said:
I have two 4-year-old nubian does. Both are in their third lactation. One recently had mites. As we were shampooing her the other day we noticed lumps/bumps under her belly. They feel very soft, as if they are filled with fluid. They run in fairly straight lines to her udder. At first I was really freaked out, imagining all sorts of things, but that night on the milking stand we noticed the second goat had the same thing. Now I am not sure. My son thinks they are veins or milk glands or something. I have no idea. I was going to take one of them into the vet today, but decided to check with all you more experienced goat people on here first. Is this normal? If not, what could it be? I am very concerned, but trying not to panic. Please give me your advice.
I think your son is correct. Their is a very pronounced milk vein that funs along their belly to their udder. It has a lumpy appearance.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think your son is correct. Their is a very pronounced milk vein that funs along their belly to their udder. It has a lumpy appearance.
That is a relief to know. Thank you!!

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you both so much! You have saved me a trip to the vet and many $$! I am so relieved and grateful. Thanks again.