Dani4Hedgies Building AND Starting our Homesteading Life in MO

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be a little nervous abt building a homestead on friends' property, even if it is so big. How would you be covered legally after putting in so much work, sweat, and effort if some type of division should occur and you had to walk away and start over? Maybe I misunderstood your OP.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nice looking land. Pardon me, but what is DP? I get the DD (dear daughter)...

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes we will be building our own home a "small" house turning a 576 sq ft metal double garage with a lean too attached to it into our home. Changing out the two garage doors for 36X36 windows plus we will of course add more windows once we meet with the builder...DH is talking about a skylight :)

As DP parents and my DH are already working out all the legal things needed we will either 1.) rent for free and just leave the house there when we leave or 2.) we will pay a fee or 3.) will buy it outright from DP Parents. I leave the legal stuff to DH and he leaves the animals to me :) We both have our strengths :) I will post pictures of the planned house and floor plan ( now we have found a MUCH better priced one then the price listed on the pic so just ignore that)

DP is for Dear Partners (Heather and Eric)

Attachments

• 20171129_091752_Film1.jpg
    20171129_091752_Film1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 20171130_121150_Film1.jpg
    20171130_121150_Film1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 150

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So after our homestead meeting this weekend it has been decided that we will also add Angora rabbits as well as a Spinning wheel (hut) to our homestead. So with that plan we are starting to figure out how to make the best Chicken/Rabbit Coop that will be able to keep the rabbit and chickens nice and cool during our HOT summers and Warm during our cold winters.

For those that breed/show 4H these two kinds of rabbits what suggestions do you have for us to ensure that we get healthy lines that will met our needs? Having never done 4H before but not willing to let down my DPDDS how can I ensure that we get great rabbits for them to show in 4H? Is there "den mothers" in 4H that will help us with this?

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So on our way home from our convention in Topeka Heather and I decided to make a detour and stop by our friend Vern's poultry farm. As she had let me know that she had extra poult Midget White Turkeys and Isbars chicks which we both wanted soooo I ended up with 5 new baby poult one that immediately started Hsssing up a storm so we know we have at least one "lit Jenny" :) And Heather ended up with 4 beautiful Isbar chicks that she will spoil like crazy..not that I can talk all the turkey poults got taken out to the coop and loved on and carried around by their "Proud New Papa Tom Tom" Though his "wives" looked at the pouls in complete confusion since neither had gone brooding. I can ONLY guess what the "loud discussion" we heard coming from the Turkey corner of the coop was..."Tom Tom WHO is the mother of those Chicks" hssed Limpie, "You better NOT think for a second that I am giving up my spot for another hen" hssed Henning "THE HO-MAN is MINE...(Henning is always attached to my hip or leg or lap or back whatever she can touch when I'm out with them.) Will post pics in a bit.

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are weak...saw this beauty in my favorite mama and papa Pet Store and had to bring her home...everyone meet Allie ( am guessing Angora what's does everyone else think?) Also got a simply plastic and wire cage and have a wire run on its way to us. Now seeing as there were bucks in the commune cage I'm going to guess that she is knocked up but will have my vet check for sure.

Attachments

• 20180207_182948_Film1.jpg
    20180207_182948_Film1.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 135

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Soo after lots and lots of chatting with rabbit people it was decided that Allie Bun Bun is a Lionhead Angora cross so last night I met up with a wonderful breeder named Roxanne and adopted "Mickey Bun Bun" a pure angora so now we will create 2/3 Angoras and 1/3 lionhead babies perfect for harvesting wool/table. We are so excited can't wait until they decide to become parents. We have also decided to adopt a few kits from Roxanne too that will be ready the week after Easter (we think). Our herd is taking off, I ordered a couple 10X3 metal play yards for the rabbits (I have a perfect size coop/hutch for them) that I will connect it to give them plenty of room to run amuck and be bunnies. Yep I know that will make their wool require more brushing but for the joy of seeing bun buns be buns we are ok with this. Also the second 10X3 is for my bantam only flock that will start with the eggs that Strawberry (my house chicken) is currently sitting on they are on day 19 sooo will be hatching any time now we can't wait) and finished with the new arrivals that we will pick up in Hutchinson April 16-17 at the Bantam Show. Life is going great on the farm, we are also going to the Gardner Auction March 16-17 and will see what bunnies (rex or angora/goats(looking at the mini/na that are good milkers and cute/piggies(feeders0 catch our eye and are invited to join our farm.

Now that we seem to "FINALLY" be entering Spring we will beginning the process of getting our garden ready for all the yummies to be planted.. just finishing up our chicken 10X10 tractor and garden digging time will start :)

Thanks to everyone who is following along and next update will be when Strawberry hatches her clutch and we see who all is joining the mini me flock....