Dark spot on rabbit's skin...weird!!!

BunnyTree

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The other day I noticed that my Chocolate Mini lop doe had a thin spot of fur on her back, I didn't really pay much attention to it because she might be pregnant and I figured that she maybe was just being weird and pulling fur off her back (but then I didn't see any fur around her cage to support that theory.) So today I was looking through her fur to try to figure out what happened and all along her back she has bald spots and her skin is really dark brown in these areas! It is so strange! I have never seen or heard of anything like this and I can't find anything about it online or anything! I could really use help ASAP before her babies are born if possible...thanks!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pictures would help a lot!!
Is the balding spot right behind her ears? Is there any dandruff/dryness? Any red spots? If so, it could be fur mites.
I'm not sure why there would be discoloration though!

BunnyTree

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry I've Been really busy so I couldn't get pictures up until now...I don't see any dryness, redness or flakey skin, it's really strange!
The first picture is of her normal skin/fur and the next two are where the fur is thin and skin is dark :)
IMG_3929.JPG
IMG_3930.JPG
IMG_3931.JPG

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...
Is the balding spot the only place on her body that she has dark spots? Or does she have them anywhere else?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm noticing that the fur that she has is pretty strongly sunbleached, so she may be in the process/about to shed. It's possible that the dark areas are where the replacement fur is just below the skin. Rabbits don't always shed in an orderly fashion; some never molt out completely, and some seem to be constantly molting.

BunnyTree

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, I bought her from someone who left her in the sun all the time so her fur is definitely sunbleached, and as far as I can see those bald spots are the only places with dark skin