Day 20 and already building her nest

Vasara

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is the first time Blossom has ever been bred. Her meeting with Boomer on March 22 I believe was successful. I was wondering a few days ago if it actually took, but last night when I went to feed and check on the buns, there she was, mouth full of straw and I saw her little nest. So my questions: isn’t day 20 a little early to be building her nest? I planned to give her a nest box in day 28-29 and now I don’t know if I still should? I need to clean out their cages today, should I just leave her nest alone?

Attachments

• F8A96FFD-178F-4D62-BA33-420F3C8EAFAB.jpeg
    F8A96FFD-178F-4D62-BA33-420F3C8EAFAB.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 96
  • AAB7F4DB-0C01-448D-882C-0F1201CAED4C.jpeg
    AAB7F4DB-0C01-448D-882C-0F1201CAED4C.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 89
  • AC93BD51-4F82-47F7-88E2-E59EE77A38FF.jpeg
    AC93BD51-4F82-47F7-88E2-E59EE77A38FF.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 91

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I once had a Jersey Wooly that started pulling fur at day 20. The first time she did it, I thought "false pregnancy," but she kept doing it, so I gave her a box and it's a good thing I did; she had a lovely litter on day 31, in the box. By the time the babies arrived, the whole cage was absolutely swimming in fur, and the silly beast was nearly bald . . . still not sure how she managed to squeeze the kits into the box, with all that fur in there. I've had plenty of does that I have added to their nest making efforts, but she's the only rabbit that I have ever removed nest material on. She did that every time she kindled, and wound up pulling every scrap of fur she had on her body, leaving just a two inch wide Mohawk of fur along her spine. Somebody who saw her like that asked me if she'd been shaved for surgery. She was the first rabbit that I brought into the house to kindle, but in her case, it was more for her safety than the kits'; it was cool weather and I was afraid she'd freeze to death!

Moral of the story: the rabbits don't read the books, and you can't be sure what a particular doe will do until she does it. Since this doe has made a nest, you know what corner she prefers, so you know where to put the box (hopefully, she will get the hint; I've had does pull all the hay out of the box and pile it up in another corner, only to repeat when I put the hay back in the box and moved the box to that corner.:barnie) Hopefully, your girl is pregnant for real; she will let you know for sure in a few days' time. Leave the nest; stuff whatever remains of it into the box, and it will already have her scent on it and make it that much more likely that she will use the box when the time comes.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a doe start nesting at day 11 last year....her first time, she nested until kits came at their due date. If or when my does have started nesting they were pregnant...so far we havent any false pregnancies in 5 years.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
With first pregnancies it's normal for the does to make a nest early. That's better than too late! Just make sure she has more nest building material closer to her actual due date, she might eat some of her nest in the meantime :)
I had a doe that has had litters in the past and she made a nest in the cage 3 days after I bred her ha ha!
And some does don't make a nest until the exact due date...I just found that out last night! My doe was due today and didn't make a nest or carry hay or anything at all through the whole pregnancy. Woke up this morning and she had 2 babies! Small litter for a Holland but at least she did make a nest!!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
And some does don't make a nest until the exact due date.

I had a Harlequin doe that was like that. Completely ignored the nest box until mere minutes before the babies started arriving, but when she was ready, she was a dynamo! Her first time, I left a box with her almost as a "just in case" because she gave no sign, but it turned out to be just her way (she also had a thing about fighting with the buck for a couple of minutes before she would breed, even when she was totally ready physically. With her, it was 'wait. watch and see what she does when she stops fighting' - obviously, I didn't put her in with a timid buck!). Some folks keep notes on their breeders, because they often do the same things each time; once you know a particular doe's pattern, you can be more sure about what her behavior means.

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a Harlequin doe that was like that. Completely ignored the nest box until mere minutes before the babies started arriving, but when she was ready, she was a dynamo! Her first time, I left a box with her almost as a "just in case" because she gave no sign, but it turned out to be just her way (she also had a thing about fighting with the buck for a couple of minutes before she would breed, even when she was totally ready physically. With her, it was 'wait. watch and see what she does when she stops fighting' - obviously, I didn't put her in with a timid buck!). Some folks keep notes on their breeders, because they often do the same things each time; once you know a particular doe's pattern, you can be more sure about what her behavior means.
They're all different in their own ways! And I agree, it does help to know what habits they have when it comes to breeding and kindling :) I thought for sure that the doe I mentioned was not pregnant...she showed no signs, didn't carry hay, I never saw/felt movement in her belly but she had 2 healthy babies last night plus a peanut.
What kind of rabbits do you have?

Latest posts