De horning my pygme goat by Banding

Remmys mommy

Just born
Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this site and I have a question.
So, I have made the decision to dehorn my pygme goat...he's an inside goat and after serious debating, I think this is the best choice for my family. Anywho...I've had the bands on for about 2 to 2 1/2 months, but I do not feel like they are making the progress they should. I banded him at 3 months old. His bands are on but his horns are still growing! I had them as close to his head as possible, but now they have grown and he's going to have some pretty good nubs if this continues. There is a good notch where the bands are working, but I feel like they haven't made any progress lately. I change the bands every week or 2 at the most. My question is, I kinda want to band down lower to his head again, but I feel like its going to be starting this process all over again. What should I do? I thought they would stop growing once I banded and they started getting the indentations, but its not. I did ALOT of research before I did this, so I feel like I've done it right, I just don't know why its taking so long and why they are still growing and if I should start back at the base of the head again. Help please!!!

Attachments

• 15304794347551868095294.jpg
    15304794347551868095294.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 153047946464678734556.jpg
    153047946464678734556.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 139

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Inside as in...lives inside the house with you all the time goat? Why?

No judgment just asking :frow

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wish i could be more help but hopefully this will bump you enough to get some more qualified people

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's near impossible to use bands on goats under a year. The horns grow so fast that the band's end up just removing half the horns. It works best on mature goats. I would find a vet to remove them at this point.

Remmys mommy

Just born
Reaction score
Inside as in...lives inside the house with you all the time goat? Why?

No judgment just asking :frow
Yes. I got him as an early v day gift from my fiance. We had land and he was going to be outside when he got bigger. Well, then I lost my fiance in a car accident on Feb 13th. I had to move back to the city and I have no where else to keep him. He does well inside though. He plays and acts like a dog. He wears a diaper inside and when we go outside, he's naked! I know its not an ideal situation, but its mine and its working well for us. He also sleeps in a big dog kennel at night, just like a dog.I have 'goat proofed' my house, so there are things for him to jump and climb on.

Remmys mommy

Just born
Reaction score
It's near impossible to use bands on goats under a year. The horns grow so fast that the band's end up just removing half the horns. It works best on mature goats. I would find a vet to remove them at this point.
Thanks. I finally found a vet near me that will see goats, so I will get his opinion. Everything I read was to do it while they were young. Thanks for the help