De-worming A Goat With Chewing Tobacco

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today I was talking with a farmer who use's chewing tobacco to de-worm his goats. I have heard of this before but never tried it. To me nicotine is poisonous.

Has anyone ever tried this before?

bob

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yes I've heard of it, never tried it!!!!! They say it's good for bee stings too:lol:

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A lot of old-time farmers used to give it to their livestock as a dewormer. I remember an old landlord of mine who handled horses in world war 2 told me I needed to feed my horse a pack of cigarettes every now and then. I'm skeptical about it. :/

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im sure the tobacco in WW II was completely differant from the tobacco today...with all the additives and poisons in it. I would not do it.

Maybe if it was raw tobacco leaves from the plant itself??? Then maybe...but a pack of smokes with bleaches and amonia's...and God knows whatever else. Id be scared Id poison them.

The wormers cost about the same as a pack of ciggarettes do.

I would buy the wormers. IMO!! :idunno

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The fellow I talked to today when I got some goats milk for my babies says he keeps a bag of loose chewing tobacco in his house for his goats.

He claims he has no problem getting them to eat it and he's never had a worm problem with his goats. He also claims the tobacco kills off all types of worms that would plague a goat.

Other than him I don't know of anyone else doing it. I was under the assumption that tobacco wasn't good for goats because of the nicotine.

So how does chewing tobacco compare with cigarette's for quality.

bob

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Try it on yourself, you'll give your goatie a heck of a bellyache. Wormer is not THAT expensive...

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chewing tobacco??? That one I dont know...I thankfully dont chew!!!:lol:

Im sure it has validity of some sort?? I would just be weary cuz of the chemicals used in tobacco's.

Thats just me...but I dont know whats in chewing tobacco. But I know they have warnings for mouth cancers to on chewing tobacco now...and its not the nicotine thats the issue its the chemicals.

:idunno

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Try it on yourself, you'll give your goatie a heck of a bellyache. Wormer is not THAT expensive...
I don't plan on trying it myself. This is merely a topic to find someone who actually use's chewing tobacco for their goats and what they know on how it helps them.

bob

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'll with draw the question in this post & go elsewhere where it can actually be answered.

Point is knowledge

end of post