Dead babies

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
6 babies born yesterday. I came home tonight from work and checked on them. It seems like all but 2 are dead. Is this normal? This is her first batch. Why isn't she caring for them? She seemed interested in them when i was checking on them but whats going on? They were clumped together in the nesting box but most are cold and stiff. The others look like they are fading

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
6 babies born yesterday. I came home tonight from work and checked on them. It seems like all but 2 are dead. Is this normal? This is her first batch. Why isn't she caring for them? She seemed interested in them when i was checking on them but whats going on? They were clumped together in the nesting box but most are cold and stiff. The others look like they are fading

Are they warm enough, protected from drafts ? How old is the doe ?

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are inside a nesting box inside a coop. Protected from drafts but it was a little chilly today. The doe i was told was like 5 or 8 months old but im not quite sure 100 percent. They look skinny like she hasn't fed them. I was hoping she would take care of them. Im not around during the day to really do anything if there was something i could do. Should i put in a heat lamp next time?

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Im pretty depressed about it right now. I was so excited and then they finally came yesterday

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im pretty depressed about it right now. I was so excited and then they finally came yesterday

Gary, Im sorry, :hugs some rabbits mother better than others, if this is her first time, try again in a few weeks..i have one that was just about ready for the stew pot, and today she finally had 8 kits....you never know how they will react till you try...then you keep the best and eat the rest...
Is she your only doe ?

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No i have two. The second one i just got last week becuase the guy accidentally gave me two bucks and one doe. I had the second one in the bucks cage for a day or so so she should give birth in 3 weeks or so. How long till i should breed the 1st doe again and will she get better at this?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
No i have two. The second one i just got last week becuase the guy accidentally gave me two bucks and one doe. I had the second one in the bucks cage for a day or so so she should give birth in 3 weeks or so. How long till i should breed the 1st doe again and will she get better at this?
I would wait two to three weeks, feed her well ,then rebreed...if she doesn't feed the next time....she would be in my freezer, dog food or sold as a pet....
If your goal is to raise and breed, you need to keep only your best breeders.....
And you did not cause this to happen...so no guilt, ...:hugs

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks. Im feeling pretty guilty and sad but you did help to lift my spirits. Thanks

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Im feeling pretty guilty and sad but you did help to lift my spirits. Thanks

Gary...sad and disappointed for sure....guilt, no way dude....she failed you, you did not fail her....try again maby next time, if not....say good bye. :bunny now cheer up.....to have and care for your animals, you have to accept death, it's part of the cycle of life :old

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Will she go thru any depression when i remove all her baboes in the morning?

Latest posts