Dead Lamb!

Gaulois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the sheep business and i just brought home 10 dorper ewes from the sale last thursday.
One of the ewes had a single lamb yesterday afternoon and it seemed alert and i saw it feeding on Mamma. this morning i saw them in the pasture and the lamb was bounding a little. Good sign!
then out of the blues, about an hour later. I see the lamb laying on the ground next to Momma and it was dead.
I don't understand what could have happened. The baby had blood dripping from his mouth and nose. What should i have done different to prevent such a catastrophie?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH, FROM Florida, great site, awesome people, lots of information......so sorry for your loss of your lamb....:(.....

Last edited:

Gaulois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You know, I have a donkey with them in the pasture. I think i should have listened to my wife and not let the new borns with the mamma's in the pasture for a few days.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know, I have a donkey with them in the pasture.
I learned that lesson the hard way about 25 years ago - and that's why I asked. I had a beautiful pygmy buck kicked in the head after being a little too curious about a horse. Blood from the nose and mouth on my little guy too - except he was about 4 months old - not a newborn. So sorry for your loss.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
SO sorry to hear about your lamb.

I would go for injury by another animal....dog ???

It is heartbreaking when this kind of thing happens.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Donkeys sometimes see something new as a threat. Once a black lamb was born into a white flock and the guard donkey killed it.