Dealing with an Aggressive Barrow

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha ha, very funny. Seriously could make him mouthy, worth asking

@misfitmorgan have you ever had an aggressive pig? @Ferguson K you had show pigs right? So you must know about pig behavior?

Assuming this pig is not going to be butchered early... Is there anything she can do to change his behavior? I had pigs I used to bring a stick in with just in case I needed it. I've read if you lean into them or push them in the front shoulder that's establishing dominance in piggie language. I don't know if he's beyond that.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best way to deal with a biting, aggressive pig of any kind is to teach it respect. a pig that is biting you does not respect you. We had a few that required some force to learn said respect, but it usually can be cured by expelling energy.

If you can separate him, so so. Give him some toys and walk him. Take his mind away from being pushy and make him work for his food.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think just not allowing him an opportunity to bite is my best bet for now. He doesn't chomp unless there is an object over the pen or something in his face. Other than that he doesn't charge or give off negative body language. He is just a weird case. We are expanding the pen soon and there will be a division between the two pens, so we will be able to seperate him to work with the other two.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best way to deal with a biting, aggressive pig of any kind is to teach it respect. a pig that is biting you does not respect you. We had a few that required some force to learn said respect, but it usually can be cured by expelling energy.

If you can separate him, so so. Give him some toys and walk him. Take his mind away from being pushy and make him work for his food.
What is a good toy? I do not feel comfortable to be in the pen but I can work from the perimeter.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry i dont usually check BYH on weekends so i missed this. I would definitely not get in a pen with this pig. Approximately 20-40 people are killed by pigs a year, so do be very careful. Pigs are large and very very strong esp in the neck and jaws and are capable of moving fast. Do NOT ever for any reason stick your head/face over the side of the pen unless you can clearly see the pig is on the other side of the pen and will not come to your side...because pigs can jump esp up on fences and gates and could very easily bite your face/head. There have been cases were a pig jumped on the gate and bite the farmers head to pull them into the pen and maul/eat him, they did not survive. These are extreme sort of case but not beyond happening so be very careful and do not give him a chance to get his mouth on you.

Mangalitsa are an old style lard pig...this is different then a heritage breed. They are much closer to a wild pig then heritage breeds, remember a heritage breed is a pig that has been bred in the US for at least the past 90 years and produce themselves when bred together. Magalitsa are much closer to a the asiatic pig aka the ones running wild in the US. Mangalitsa are not classed as a heritage breed because they have not been in the US long enough, even if they were again they are not the same type as our current heritage breeds. They do take 15 months to reach "butcher weight" which is suppose to be approx 300lbs depending on diet fed. Keep in mind though that the natural weight for mangalitsa is under 170lbs at adulthood which is considered 6 months. As with other breeds though beyond 250lbs your growing lard no way around it and this is not inter-muscular lard this is straight up lard on the outside of the meat like other lard pigs. We are lucky to have one of the importers of the mangalitsa here in michigan(puremangalitsa) so we see them more often then other places im guessing. Also if your feeding them corn or soy your going to be a bit disappointed by the lard as it taints the nice white lard they are known for.

I would highly recommend butchering early for this pig, it does not seem feasible to feed this pig to 12 months and a aggressive barrow at 350lbs is not something you wanna try to load on a trailer/truck. I know you dont want him to go to freezer camp but it is the only good option i can think of. Some pigs are just mean and thats all there is about it, trying to teach them respect can often make those types of pigs more aggressive.

Last edited:

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of corrective training with Kev lately. I would never trust him but he has been good with not chomping. In my free time yesterday I did research about pig body language and communication. He is the dominant pig, and struts like he knows it.