Decided to sell my sheep and I can't...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The ram just turned 3, none are registered though.

I'll have to look and see if we have auctions around this part. I'd just be afraid they'd get eaten :(, I'm kinda attached! :p

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, you could always give them away. I just gave away 3 goats because I wanted to make sure they went to a good home, and did not want to sell them on CL. One was one of my original goats, and it turned out that she nor or her offspring were as good as our others. We had to cut our numbers. so, I contacted someone who had bought some others from me that I knew had a great place and gave her and 2 kids to her. Not going to make any money like that, but I feel good about what I did.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
are you trying just locally? If you haven't tried there are some nice nationwide pages on FB (trophy horned hair sheep or trophy hair sheep of america are two I enjoy) many sheep sell on there even without papers (especially for that low price! ) Also BestFarmBuys.com is a good free site.
If you look into an auction check for an exotic animal auction (though be aware that the ram may go to a trophy hunting places at place like that)

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I would start advertising on breed specific sites or facebook groups if you want them to go to breeding homes (if you haven't already, you didn't say what you've tried so far). I've driven quite a ways (6+ hours) to pick up breeding stock I like so don't be afraid to cast a wider net than just your local area.

There's a Livestock For Sale group on facebook that is pretty active too. They're good looking sheep and you've taken lovely pictures of them so that may help sell them better online.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For the same reason you want to sell them (not feed them through winter) is why a lot of people may not be interested. Not sure what to suggest to you. I sold mine when I was ready. I had person offer me peanuts for them and i knew they were goint to take them to auction, so I sold them at auction myself.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any luck getting those sheep sold?
A fella from our church saw mine and asked if I sold them. I replied that I had not yet but was open to it.
I'm thinking that he would pale at the price. LOL
Most folks who don't purchase hay and grain are clueless as to the cost of getting something to the butcher shed.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I broke them all up into pairs and sold them that way. 2 here, 2 there. Last ones went 2 days ago. I still feel bad for getting rid of my beautiful friendly ram, but it's nice having that pen for my bucks and its nice not having him ramming up my buildings! :confused: