Deep freezer weather feeding

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some of us are about to go into some real deep freezer weather. We will be lucky to see 0 for highs and lows are being called as low as -30 here in WI. I'm sure some of you may see lower.

Things to remember,

1. Bed up well. Wood shavings do good for keeping dry but, in this fridged weather I would recommend straw or hay especially, for the calves to snuggle down in.

2. Make sure plenty of water is available. Cattle drink more in the really cold temps.

3. Keep food in front of them at all times. Hay, hayledge, or corn silage in for them at all times. If you normally grain once a day split it into two feedings. One in the morning and one at night. This helps spread that energy for keeping warm throughout the day and night. If you can swing it adding a little more grain can help too.

4. I would recomend feeding calves milk/milk replacer 3 times a day instead of twice a day. Yes, it costs more but, unless you have a warm barn to house them in they will need the extra feedings. Keep grain in front of them at all times, even for day old calves. Any that they may nibble on will help keep them warm.

5. Keep yourself bundled and dry. If you get wet go change clothes immediately! With these fridged temps it won't take long for exposed skin to freeze. Please bundle up and keep yourself warm and dry.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
miss kitty you forgot 1 tipp.increase your feed by 10%.because in freezing temps they burn alot of engery.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In #3 I wrote: If you can swing it adding a little more grain can help too.

But, you are right, they do burn a lot more trying to stay warm! I guess I never figured out the percent.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
heres my thoughts if you feed them 5lbs a hd in 0 temps,feed them 8 or 10lbs in -10 or higher.because they will steam their body fat off.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:lol: You mean lower not higher! But, yes, they need more grain to stay warm when it gets that cold. I have been doing this long enough I just automatically add what is needed and don't calculate it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You just don't deal with sub-zero temps to think right about it. To you if the number goes up it's higher. :lol:

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
You just don't deal with sub-zero temps to think right about it. To you if the number goes up it's higher. :lol:
I must be losing it too, because it made perfect sense to me the first time I read it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
But, when it's on the negative side and the number goes up, the temperature is going down.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
-24 here this AM. Happy to see that it didn't get down to what they were predicting (-25), but I guess one degree doesn't make much difference. Hope they are wrong about tonight too. They are saying that it might get down to -35 in some spots.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GLOBAL WARMING??? Let's all burn some plastic and eat at McDonalds, drive our SUV's, and breathe faster. Maybe the added pollution will help to raise our temps.

Latest posts