Deep freezer weather feeding

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not until mid/end of May here. However, they do slow down before that as the grass starts greening up.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is REEEEally getting old. It was -12 this AM when I got up. Now at 11:30, it's down to -17. It's supposed to warm up when the sun comes up, isn't it? We have a NW wind around 20 - 30, so s'pose we're getting air from waaaaay up north. Fargo meteorologist is predicting -35 tonight. Then, on Monday, it's supposed to get up to +35. That's a 70 degree change in 4 days.

The cows can really pack the hay away in this kind of windchill.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jhm47, I was wondering how your doing! This weather we're getting is coming from your way after it came down from Canada to you.

We saw -5 this morning-not to bad. The next two are supose to be down in the -20's. And yes, it's suppose to warmup with the sun but, I don't think anything is working the way it's suppose to anymore!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a meeting to attend this evening. When I returned home at 8PM, it was -24. But---NO WIND! Without the wind it didn't feel too bad. Fargo radio says it will get down to -35 to -40 tonight. I just hope the wind stays down.

One thing that I do know---When spring comes, Wahpeton, Fargo and Grand Forks, ND will almost certainly be flooding again. In 1997, there were floods of epic proportions for these two towns, and all the land in between. The runoff water from our area flows north into the Red River of the North. The land in that area is extremely flat, so the flood spreads out over many miles, and flows very slowly to the north. It never gets very deep, just very wide. Sometimes up to 30 miles wide. It eventually goes into Canada, and goes through Winnipeg, and from there to the Hudson Bay. However, the damage it does on the way there is staggering. The best that we can hope for now is that our spring breakup is very slow, so the water can flow slowly to the north.