Deficiencies and Deworming

GodzillaGoat

Just born
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have recently acquired 2 pygmy wethers that are active and happy but I know are selenium deficient and also likely copper deficient given our area. I have checked their eyes and they are pretty pale, which leads me to believe they have heavy worm loads. They were recently dewormed on the 16th with injectable Ivermec (given orally).

At the moment they are curious and happy little guys but I'd like to get ahead of any issues. I'm wondering what the best way to attack all these concerns is. Should I give the bose and a copper bolus, reworm on the 26th and then see how their famancha scores are affected? Should I start with a fecal sample from each? I have to wait a couple weeks to collect samples as they were dewormed before I got them and apparently that messes with the test. Also, where I live the 2 fecals are gonna cost me $50 so I'd prefer to avoid that if possible lol.

Thanks for any input! I'm excited to get them into better health :)

GodzillaGoat

Just born
Reaction score
I gave them each a copper bolus today. Debating whether or not to do the second dose of dewormer on the 24th or skip it and send in a fecal sample...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Careful when giving copper and deworming at close intervals.
It would have been best to follow through the deworming protocol and wait then give copper.
As far as anemia you will need to give supportive care while deworming and to help them recover.
Check with your veterinarian. Iron will be necessary if too anemic as well as B vitamins. Copper/selenium will not help with anemia.

I like redcell however it is off label although it is simply a supplement. The concern in your case is you have already given copper and selenium and therefore could cause toxicity. Generally I prefer redcell because if a goat is parasitic and anemic the goat will generally be lacking overall in other vitamins and minerals.

Definitely recheck fecals but perhaps you should wait for follow up after deworming. That price for fecals is high. Are they doing a McMasters for EPG (eggs per gram count)? Or a straight float?

GodzillaGoat

Just born
Reaction score
Wow thanks!! I gave the copper because I had bananas 🤦‍♀️ I figured it was a good time lol. Shoot! I havent given the selenium yet as it's a shot and I didnt want to do anything too strong. I thought since the copper was time released it wouldnt be an issue. They definitely got crunched up so I guess maybe the good news is theyll probably only get half of the dose? Lol whoops.

That fecal price is Canadian which may make a difference in your opinion about whether it is high or not lol. I asked if it would show type of worm and a count and she said yes. I called 2 separate vets and the difference in cost was negligible (both about $25 per sample)

I have a fortified complex b vitamin injectable as well as an iron injectable (hemostam). I will call the vet tomorrow to see if they have red cell and ask about how they suggest I manage restoring these goats. The problem is that the vets here are pretty unreliable as far as goats are concerned 😔

Careful when giving copper and deworming at close intervals.
It would have been best to follow through the deworming protocol and wait then give copper.
As far as anemia you will need to give supportive care while deworming and to help them recover.
Check with your veterinarian. Iron will be necessary if too anemic as well as B vitamins. Copper/selenium will not help with anemia.

I like redcell however it is off label although it is simply a supplement. The concern in your case is you have already given copper and selenium and therefore could cause toxicity. Generally I prefer redcell because if a goat is parasitic and anemic the goat will generally be lacking overall in other vitamins and minerals.

Definitely recheck fecals but perhaps you should wait for follow up after deworming. That price for fecals is high. Are they doing a McMasters for EPG (eggs per gram count)? Or a straight float?