Definitely getting an LGD now...

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we just got hit again...Hard :hit:somad
So tired of dealing with the packs of stray dogs and the occasional coyote or fox that comes in and takes out our animals, so I finally got DH on board to get an LGD.
I have a lot of dog training experience, but it's mostly limited to obedience training rather than LGD training. Any and all information would be appreciated. @Southern by choice
In our area, there are a few options - there is one place that's a really long drive, but they have 1.5 year old Anatolian Shepherds experienced with goats and poultry or 14 week old puppies available.
Another option is Great Pyrs that are a bit closer, 20 week old puppies. There are Kuvasz in the area, but they are more show lines, so not really considering them.

We have 2 1/2 unfenced acres. We have fenced portions for our chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, goats, and hutches for the rabbits. We need something that will protect all of them and will stay on the property as best as possible and can dissuade larger packs of dogs. This morning there were 4 of them. :somad
What say you all?

brogan007

Just born
Reaction score
If you can see the stray dogs...can you not knock some over with a rifle? Get a head start, help out your LGD and just even up the playing field for your animals. Damn these stray dogs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do you mean by fenced portions?

Do not waste your time or money on a LGD until the property is properly fenced. Having adequate fencing alone may solve the issue.
You are on a small property and the dogs are not going to just stay there. In a LGD's mind their property extends to as far as they can see.
Being honest here SA- NO breeder should sell a LGD to anyone without proper fencing and if one tells you they will stay with the animals or that an invisible fence is ok... RUN the other way.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't see them - DH did, but he had to get to work. They usually run off before we'd have a chance to grab a gun, but we can and will shoot them if the opportunity presents itself.
DH is going to load a shotgun with rock salt and keep it by the front door, so that'll help in the meantime.

These bleeping dogs tore through wood and wire to get at my rabbits and chickens. The birds are locked up at night and the rabbits are in raised wood/wire hutches, but that didn't stop these blood-thirsty bleepers :somad

The reason we were holding off getting one is that we wanted to have the entire perimeter fence up first.
We have large fenced portions for the turkeys and runs for the chickens.
The whole place isn't fenced off, but enough is that the LGD would have about an acre to patrol. We just wanted all of it done...:hu

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Figured I could leave the gates open to all the fenced off portions at night for the LGD to patrol, then close them for the day when the birds are out... Once the fences are fixed and bolstered a little anyway!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It might work... kinda small and sounds like the area is a bit "cut up".
By that I mean small areas that are connected are much more difficult to work with and harder on the dog making it more difficult for them to do their job. LGD's don't need obstacle courses.
I don't mean that in a negative way, just trying to give a bigger picture... I did a consult for a family wanting to get a LGD... went out saw their fencing... lots of "lots" these lots were all connect by 4 ft gates in different areas. The dog would have to go in almost a zig zag manor (kind of like a McMasteres slide up right downright up right down right ... you get the picture...through 4 gates to get from the front to the back of the property. For the predator on the other side it is a straight line.
Not sure how your place is set up but something to consider.

An adult would be better however you will need to make sure the LGD is accustomed to the different kind of animals you have or you will need to intro them. Also a LGD that has been on a good deal of land has a much harder time trying to assimilate to a small yard.
There is a possibility the dog may not have enough room and that leads to digging, climbing etc.

LGD's can be trained to poultry, rabbits are a little harder as that is something they typically would kill and eat in the field.