Dehorning

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I recently got a little 8 week old doe and am wondering she has half an inch of horn can i still have her dehorned? also some goat books say to cut their wattles off since other goats may suck on them is she too old for this also? thanks

CupidsDelite

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've not had great success on kids older than a week old. They always end up with scurs. As for the wattles, I've never had any problems with those in any way.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
As long as the disbudding iron still fits over the horn, it can be disbudded. Bear in mind you will have to work harder at it to be sure to get all of the bud this late in the game. You can always go back 6-9 week later and reburn if there is scur growth.

The ONLY reason to cut off wattles is aesthetic. Most people think they're adorable...so IMO leave them on.

alba

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my 6 month olds has flat scurs that lay on the head. About an inch long. Should these be treated with the iron again to remove?
And what are wattles exactly? What is their purpose?

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
alright alright i will leave the wattles lol i like goats without because of the cleaner appearance but my hubby likes the wattles so they will be staying but the horns must go. to alba wattles as far as i know have no purpose though i do have a goat book that says they goats with wattles are more prolific but that just might be a myth

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
scurs are just loose floopy horns.an theres no reason to cut them off.they wont hurt anything.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Wynedot55 - scurs aren't always 'no big deal'. They can grow like normal horns, they can grow in a deformed manner...ultimately they can be just as destructive as unaltered horns.

Alba - can you post a pic? The shape of the scur dictates what can be done to correct it. It takes a very experienced disbudder to correct scurs when they're large and deformed. You might have to band them off, then reburn once you can see the growth plate.

Yup, wattles have no purpose. Just 'goat bling'. :p