Dejavoodoo114 Kidding Thread - Breeding Time!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I am not sure on this one. She thought the doe was going to kid in March and only just kidded! So I am betting she didn't give her another CD&T shot...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So tonight was fun! :barnie I was shaving some more goats, some for show and some so I didn't have to worry about lice. Tattooing the last few who needed it.... Just realized Chloe's tattoo didn't get fixed...:he Because, Chloe was on the milk stand, luckily the last to be milked, when I sent the boys down to get Cinnful who was due in two weeks so she could be put in the kidding stall. She was supposed to be put in there last night but they "forgot" and I didn't force them to go get her... SO, there I am finishing Chloe and thinking about her tattoo and such... "Cinnful is kidding a dead kid!!" :th

So I call (read yell really loudly) for DH to grab a towel and head to pasture. He comes out "I told you! I told you!" He was watching the times and told me this weekend to get her up here early so we weren't scouring the pasture for kids again. Which was why Cinnful was supposed to be up here last night... I finish milking Chloe and tell DS(9) to stay and feed kids. I remove rings (need to go find those...) and wash hands and start heading down the killer slope to the pasture.

DH and DS(16) are bringing Cinnful up the hill and she collapsed. I am asking (loudly) why they were making her move!? DH counters that with "how should we know what to do?" Good point.:hide I guess she got up and ran to DS so DH wanted to bring her up so my hips and I didn't have to go down that hill. I go to check and there is a dead kids head sticking out and legs that don't belong. I tried to manipulate and figure out what was going wrong. Then DS(9) comes down with my phone on speaker telling me my friend called... Really!?!?!:he So she hangs up, duh, and DH picks up Cinnful and brings her into the house.

I call UT and ask to speak to the vet. By the time the vet gets on I have determined that the shoulders of the first kids didn't come through but the head and legs of the second were! Cinnful, a FF, trying like crazy to push both these kids out at the same time.:barnie Took me a bit but I finally did get the second kid pushed back (without caring much if I hurt it, my focus was the doe) and DH pulled the first out. Dead doe. Then the second came out very quickly. I didn't really even look at him but I heard him. I was sure he was dead being stuck like that. His throat is all swollen and his tongue but he was trying to breathe.:fl I went in and made sure that there were no others.

Poor Cinnful was spent! I sure hope she is okay after all this. Last time this happened, 4 years ago, also with a FF, I had to take her to UT because she was pushing so hard I couldn't do anything. I think my schooling has paid off. I am more familiar with how much I can do now and before I was afraid to hurt her. NOT that I am not worried I may have hurt Cinnful but more confidant in myself I guess.... I still have to milk Cinnful and try and get the buckling to eat. But I wanted him under the heat lamp and to give the swelling a chance to go down. Nap time yet?

20170515_213935.jpg 20170515_213944.jpg 20170515_214008.jpg 20170515_214658.jpg 20170515_214729.jpg 20170515_214740.jpg 20170515_214936.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh gosh!

You should have the dead kid necropsied. You want to find out why 2 weeks early!

Glad the one is still with you and hopefully your doe will recover. Talk about an adrenaline surge!

We had 2 coming out at once. Head of one legs of another ... no matter what I couldn't untangle them and it was a small Nigie with first kidding QUADS.
When my neighbor vet showed up boom it was done in a second and one after another he pulled those kids out. After that I didn't fear "hurting" a doe ever again. He had HUGE hands, bigger than any of the kids heads... and he taught us a trick ... we have used this several times now and it has made such a difference of getting the kid shoved back in enough to get them untangled and delivered.
Elevate the butt up in the air and let gravity help with drawing the kids back in as you push them back.
Also as long as they come out torpedo like that is all that matters...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you lost the doeling, glad you saved the doe and the buckling. Life is full of unwanted and unexpected excitement...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, I probably won't have the doeling necropsied because Cinnful was bought and I tested for pregnancy. The previous owner was sure she had the date right but I'm guessing not.

I should have called you instead of UT! My last dystocia I took to UT and that vet had HUGE hands! I felt so bad for Pecan! That was one reason I knew I could do it. My hands aren't small but they certainly aren't big! I basically ended up lifting her rear end a bit just because. Would have been nice to "know" that would have helped. I may not have hurt the buckling as much. I poked his eye pretty bad pushing him back in but the vet didn't say anything about that. Ah well, live and learn. Again.

I just got finished milking Cinnful. Boy what a handful! She ended up laying down for most of it. She never wanted to lick or sniff the kids at all. I think I should have encouraged her to even though we were bottle feeding so that she would be easier to milk! I was able to get a good amount of colostrum in the boy though. As long as the swelling doesn't overwhelm him I think he will be fine. I started with a syringe thinking he would have a hard time. He didn't like it but was looking for nipple so i got a bottle. No problems at all.

Look at how swollen he is though. And that eye, poor thing. Hope I didn't blind him.

20170516_005921.jpg 20170516_005859.jpg 20170516_005905.jpg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Life is full of unwanted and unexpected excitement...
Yes, that about sums it up! I am glad I was able to save him.
The vet wanted me to bring him in so they could take care of him. Honestly, he is an unregistered buck... Minimum of $200 for just seeing him and doing tests etc... Cinnful is who I was worried about. I kept hoping she would have her kids early so that I could take her to the show. She is spunky as heck. I can't believe how quickly she recovered from what I did to her! And now I am telling myself that taking a doe to a show 5 days after kidding is too soon.... Right? Too soon? Because I REALLY wanted to take her... :hide

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think I would. This was pretty rough and she will still be sore, maybe even a bit of shock. When they don't even turn to sniff smell or anything it is usually a sign.
Her body needs to recuperate. Her resistance is also down... think VERY LOW... stress of travel, pens, showing ... that is a lot on a doe. IMO it opens her up to just about everything and anything.

As far as the buckling goes... I have seen this happen to mostly sheep ... and eventually the swelling goes down.

Yeah we hoist that but way up in the air! LOL

I would just watch her temp closely.