Dejavoodoo114 Kidding Thread - Breeding Time!

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, we do a cocci preventative. The past 2 years we've used Baycox. It has worked very well and whenever we checked fecals they all look great. This year we may be using medicated feed though.

You could probably send the blood out to UC Davis or the lab in WA. I know UC Davis tests for CAE, CL, Johne's & I believe G6S too.
I would imagine they can test for Lepto too.
We use our state lab (Rollins). We drop the blood off, they take what they need for CAE & Johne's and send the rest to UC Davis for the CL test. We are lucky, CAE & Johnes is only $1.50 per test. CL is pricey though ($14.50). I think will do a package deal where they run CAE, CL, & Johnes foraround $16 per goat.
Wow! That is cheap! Do they take out of state submissions?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, Thanks! I will check out UC Davis. I was just on WA website because I just (40 min ago) got the text from BioPRYN, who we use for preg checks, that two of the 4 does I picked up about a week and a half ago tested CAE positive. Now I am freaking out! :hit:hit A real nice doe named Mabel and her 6 month old doeling.

All my other goats are negative. Luckily I have those 4 does in "quarantine" (ie, the backyard...). UNFORTUNATELY, I made a BIG, STUPID mistake last week!!!!:he:he:he:he:he:he:he I know better than this, honestly! But I milked the doe with CAE and gave the milk to Iris, whose milk we have been giving to her kid!!!! I had planned on giving to the chickens but Iris really wanted it so I gave it to her... As soon as she was done I was kicking myself for being stupid. The blood had already been sent to the lab but I knew I wouldn't get the results until today....:he:he:he:he:he:he:he

SO, I gave milk from a CAE positive doe to Iris, who was negative, a week ago. Meanwhile, we have been giving Iris's milk directly to her doeling after milking!!! Could I have already infected the doeling? I am having a hard time finding out what the "incubation" period is for this. How much time until Iris would be passing it on to her doeling... :idunno

DH = Very Upset with me right now:hide

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I have been trying to research more about CAE. Everything seems so uncertain! My herd has been negative every year for the past 4 years. Now I am wondering if one of mine will randomly become positive!?

I contacted the person I bought them from. She was surprised and said she has always had negatives. Her last test was in June and again negative.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What lab was she using and was test did she use? What test did you use? AGID or cEliza (I think that's how you spell them lol)

I'm very sorry you are facing this :hit:hugs

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's really frustrating.

I know some people keep their CAE positive goats when they have really nice genetics and raise kids on CAE prevention. I know it can sometimes pass in utero, though.

At least it's not something that stays in your soil forever and prevents you from continuing like CL or Johnes.

:hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did I just see a picture of a new pup? A pretty brindle pup? :love

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about your troubles.

Just now getting a chance to follow the thread.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, I used the Elisa test. She is going to check with her vet tomorrow to see what he used. She just told her vet to test them every year and let him pick what was being tested I guess... So I will hopefully learn more tomorrow. She had really wanted me to keep her does together so when I got the results I called her.

@Green Acres Farm, I am not sure I am willing to allow a CAE positive goat around my other girls... There seems to be a lot of "they don't transfer unless....." and the list seems long and iffy. I REALLY hope I haven't already given it to my doeling (J1) Myrna. Unfortunately, my youngest really wanted to show the doe that is positive, her name is Melba.

According to the results Melba is 86% and her doeling who was born Aug 19th is 50% inhibition. The other two does from this person had 0%.

@Ferguson K, Thank you. I really wish I didn't have to sit here and make these decisions!