Dejavoodoo114 Kidding Thread - Breeding Time!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about Pecan, can't imagine how heartbroken you are. If you heard no sounds while searching, maybe the kid(s) didn't survive either. I hope the necropsy gives you some answers.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the kids did not survive. I actually believe they(it) may have been still born.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
UT just called with their preliminary necropsy findings. They said they don't really know why she died. :he They said there was a small amount of Haemonchus but not enough to be a problem...... She said every ruminant that comes in has some. She also said that her uterus was slightly red so they took a culture to see if she had a uterine infection. There were not any certain indications of a uterine infection but that was all they could think of. She didn't see any signs of complications in delivery or anything. She said there were a LOT of still births and abortions right now in this area. She wasn't sure why.

So... I still don't know what happened. She said the culture might be in by Friday but the report wont be finished for weeks.

If I had gone down there while I was typing up this thread she would still have been alive at that time. Maybe I could have saved her.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry, it is so hard and the mystery always makes it worse. I lost one a few years ago and no reason why; just dead in the morning. :hugs

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have been doing a lot of thinking about where we want to go from here. We are considering buying some more does since we wont be able to do an embryo transfer on Pecan. We have her buck from last year still (thank goodness!!!) so we will try and breed him to unrelated does and hopefully he will be able to pass on enough of her good traits. Her wether from 2 years ago is just as much of a beast as she was. Her buckling from 2016 seems to be going in that direction as well. I also think we will sell Chloe and Corley after they kid...

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I had gone down there while I was typing up this thread she would still have been alive at that time. Maybe I could have saved her.
I know it's so easy to think that, but please don't beat yourself up. Thinking 'what if' won't change the past, and will only make you feel guilty, which you are not. It's just as possible (probably more likely) that there would have been nothing you could have done. I'm glad you have some goats related to her, and are thinking of the future :hugs

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Even if I could have done nothing, at least I could have seen her symptoms as she died. I am very concerned about my other goats. I had a hard time concentrating on school and such until last night when DH and I were discussing what to do now. The farm goes on and all our plans have to change since she is no longer here. I am still angry that she died and worried about what caused it but having a plan for the farm makes things a bit easier. It gives me something to move toward and work for. We have other animals that need our attention. I do feel like I need know and not easily let things like this go because it will help ensure (hopefully) that it doesn't happen again (if they every find out why it happened at all..).

For example: Have you guys ever had a goat who needed their teeth floated? My buck makes some awful grinding noises when he eats that I have never heard from goats before. It sounds like his teeth are not meeting properly. He has been avoiding hay somewhat and when he eats it he its it slowly and also took a long time to eat grain. Seems strange though, I have not heard of needing to float a goats teeth... He has been very gradually losing weight over the fall, which I didn't think was strange as it was breeding season, but the slight weight loss has continued. If he doesn't stop then we will lose him to. He does not have Haemonchus or Cocci for sure and other worms would have been treated most likely with the last wormer I gave him. :idunno

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss... Just another painful experience/loss/tragedy to add to the growing list. It's easy to think you might have saved her, or caught it, or prevented it "if"... but if's will drive you crazy and it's all speculation in any case. I hope you are able to get some new does and move forward in a suitable direction. :hugs

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs:(
So sorry to hear of this loss. It is very hard to ask what if and blame yourself, but that won't help anything. Over the years of trying to start my small herd of goats, I've lost more than I like to count over reasons unknown. I've said from day one, who ever said raising goats is easy, LIED!

I can only imagine how hard it is with you knowing she was due to kid any day. It's a shame at least the kids didn't make it :(

I'm sure with any decision you're making on your farm, you'll be successful! Thoughts are with you!! :hugs

Latest posts