Dejavoodoo114 Kidding Thread - Breeding Time!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Goatgirl47, Thanks! I am rather fond of them! Too bad I have to sell both Chloe and Corley this year and all their kids... :hit Chloe has an awesome udder and is sooo easy to milk!

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why do you have to sell them?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Jenn27, DH says so... Says I need to focus on one type.:idunno Honestly, I think he doesn't like having to remember who is American and who is Purebred... :lol: We were talking last night about the goats again and when I started talking about embryo transfers he threw up his hands and said "that's all on you! I don't know what your talking about!". :gig I basically stepped back and said we it could make it so we had a couple of Dunflaiths... He liked that. She is Pecan's daughter and seems to have all of the good parts from Pecan. We will not decide anything for sure until seeing her freshen. But he really liked the idea of having multiple Dunflaiths.... So now to talk to the vet about embryo transfers... :celebrate

At least he is happy that I don't plan on getting any other breeds! He wants another buck as well, we were talking genetics and pedigrees and breeding program for next year last night as well. I am so grateful he is willing to talk that stuff out with me. He always says the goats are my thing and I can do what I want (within monetary limits... of course, I manage the budget and bills so....:duc:lol:). He also says he will never milk but he has in the past. Says he doesn't like the goats but always has the new kids sleeping in his lap while he is napping on the couch... Builds me all the stuff I need so that I can more easily take care of the goats myself with my disabilities. Of course, that last might be so he doesn't have to... :idunno:hide He is also letting me buy some new doelings...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, were you the one who said you have your kids on cocci prevention? What do you use? I am considering it this year.

Also, I know where I can get CAE testing done but where can I get the rest? I would love to find a lab that can do everything for me, Johnnes, Lepto, G6S, CAE, CL, whatever else I should test for. Up until now I have only been testing for CAE.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ohhhh....well, I can understand your situation, then. It sucks that you have to sell some you have grown to love, but yay on the embryos!! Good luck!! :thumbsup

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! At least I convinced him that we can't sell Chloe until all kids are weaned. With Pecan gone she is our heaviest milker. I tried convincing him that she could be a recip doe but he pointed out that I had previously pointed out that we should only use non registered because we lose too much of an opportunity using a reg doe.... Now I am kicking myself! lol

We will see if the embryo thing works out. My vet has yet to do it. She practiced flushing on some of her does. But has not yet implanted and seen if it was successful. I am hoping I can convince her to (cheaply) practice on Dunflaith... :D

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, reading all these threads, I went out to check on my girls again. Chloe is being weird. This weekend when we moved them she had no problems with me touching all over her. I couldn't find her ligs but wasn't convinced they were actually gone. DH and DS couldn't find them either but she isn't due until the 22nd. Well, I have been checking every time I check on her and the other girls. Dunflaith seemed to have loose ligs but Corley didn't. Now, Corley is getting loose and Dunflaith's are a little harder but not solid and...

Chloe absolutely REFUSES to let me touch her! She has never been this way before! Not really sure why she is acting that way now? Just being a terd I guess. At least it is motivating me to get our security company on the phone and fix our extra camera so I can put it in the kidding stall... It's COLD outside!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
... Builds me all the stuff I need so that I can more easily take care of the goats myself with my disabilities. Of course, that last might be so he doesn't have to... :idunno:hide
Not that there is an ulterior motive or anything but it could just be because he loves you and the latter point of yours is just the "frosting on the cake" ;)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, were you the one who said you have your kids on cocci prevention? What do you use? I am considering it this year.

Also, I know where I can get CAE testing done but where can I get the rest? I would love to find a lab that can do everything for me, Johnnes, Lepto, G6S, CAE, CL, whatever else I should test for. Up until now I have only been testing for CAE.
Yes, we do a cocci preventative. The past 2 years we've used Baycox. It has worked very well and whenever we checked fecals they all look great. This year we may be using medicated feed though.

You could probably send the blood out to UC Davis or the lab in WA. I know UC Davis tests for CAE, CL, Johne's & I believe G6S too.
I would imagine they can test for Lepto too.
We use our state lab (Rollins). We drop the blood off, they take what they need for CAE & Johne's and send the rest to UC Davis for the CL test. We are lucky, CAE & Johnes is only $1.50 per test. CL is pricey though ($14.50). I think will do a package deal where they run CAE, CL, & Johnes foraround $16 per goat.