Dejavoodoo114 Kidding Thread - Breeding Time!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Baymule...... Do you mean....

Vulcan???:D
20170305_123910.jpg

Thanks, I needed a smile! He is a pretty good boy. Not as good as Kimber. I keep meaning to post about him over on the LGD threads but.... I will be sure to get to that before Spring Break ends. I have a lot of great pics!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And on a good note, I have to go to Nashville tomorrow and so will be gone about 10 hours. With three girls very close to kidding I was concerned. But I just got our extra interior security camera set up in the kidding stall so I can keep an eye on them! Not just tomorrow but next week once school starts again because they are terds and will probably wait until right before my Repro exam and then all will kid at once...:tongue

Screenshot_2017-03-15-23-04-52.png

Screenshot_2017-03-15-23-04-25.png

And now I am getting everyone tested again early this year... Thank goodness those girls were quarantined! I wish I had not been stupid and given some of that does milk to Iris.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, I used the Elisa test. She is going to check with her vet tomorrow to see what he used. She just told her vet to test them every year and let him pick what was being tested I guess... So I will hopefully learn more tomorrow. She had really wanted me to keep her does together so when I got the results I called her.
Did you or her ever SEE the results?
I ask this because over the past few years SEVERAL breeders discovered they had CAE in their herd. They always let the vet handle everything. When the vet got the results he would call and let them know the results. The vet/s messed up and had missed the CAE testing and only looked at the TB results. This went on for years before they realized it. Had someone requested the documentation that never would have happened. The owners trusted their vet and never thought about it. Very sad.

Another breeder went through something similar. The vet would just call and tell them the results.
The owners always had the same vet out and the same tests run. Never requested the documents either. They sold a doe to someone and the doe tested + for CAE. The breeders where mortified and shocked- they had just tested and everything was negative. After they looked into it, it turned out that the herd hadn't been tested for CAE for over 4 years! The only diseases they were testing for were TB & brucellosis :thAgain- they had just never thought about it. The vet told them everything looked fine, but they weren't on the same page as far as what tests were being run :eek:

LOVE pics of your new pup! :love:love:love

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, I thought I remembered reading something about that on here. I absolutely have the proof of my tests. I had a vet the first year send it to the state lab and even when I requested proof she said she didn't have it. BioPRYN texted me the results as soon as they got them. Then emailed me the official report. They also, per request, mail one. I like redundancies. ;) I also appreciate the texting. They preg test immediately. I got those results during my genetics class last week. lol

That story about the vet not testing for what they wanted... Not being on the same page is exactly what I was thinking was most likely the problem. She just took his word and didn't get any proof. Hopefully tomorrow she will be able to find out what they were tested for or get more details.

Yes, the pup is adorable! Now to get ready to pay for his surgeries... :th

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the CAE, that is a shame. I wouldn't be too overly concerned about the doeling getting it from Iris from a one time mistake. I wouldn't even be too too stressed about Iris getting it; as you know it is more likely to be passed through the colostrom than just in milk. I believe you have to wait 6 months to get an accurate reading on a kid, but I might be wrong on that. My memory stinks big time.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this at once. :hugs Hopefully the new camera will give you some relief in that area, at least.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's always something... :( Sorry about the new does having CAE positive results... Can you return them to the seller and get a refund? Fingers crossed the one milk feeding to your kid won't cause an issue. Love the new pup! Congrats there... now, what surgeries? :eek: Good luck with the kidding and having the extra camera set up I'm sure helps ease your concerns some.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry your having so many issues!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the condolences guys! Of course, this is all pretty much the kind of things we deal with often. Meaning, we never seem to have small issues they are always large. I only allow myself a short time to stress about it then move on to the next emergency. That's life. :cool: Hmmm. I just realized I rarely complain about the things that happen because everyone else has issues they need to discuss. (<an example of complaining?) This immediate and easy outlet may build bad habits in me. I will need to step back and reassess what I post here. Thanks again guys! You may have saved me from myself! :duc:lol:

In other news... You CAN potty train kids to pee on a towel. I just picked up an adorable little doeling today and the breeder had trained her to pee on a towel. It was a long trip and on the way back I stopped at a friends new house (which is now too far to visit easily). Sure thing, little girl goes on the towel. Get home and she goes on the towel! Then our other doeling does as well! That will make inside play time MUCH more fun!!!:woot

In other other news... Dunfhlaith is breathing weirdly and somewhat erratically. Her ligaments are barely loose and none of the 3 have any goop at all. Dunfhlaith was also stretching a lot, she is not very big (compared to Chloe) so I am assuming she has a single.

Corley has been grinding her teeth since yesterday. Her ligs are also barely soft. :idunno She is about the same size as Dunfhlaith so I am assuming another single for her as well.

Chloe's ligs are solid but she is huge and I hope she comes sooner rather than later! She is so uncomfortable! I was watching her pee and she struggled to lift her bulk back up. :rolleyes: Come soon please!

Latest posts