Dejavoodoo114 Kidding Thread - Breeding Time!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think I have been wanting my kids to be born too much! I picked up an adorable little doeling from a great breeder near Nashville Thursday. We haven't named her yet but here are the pics! She has a heart on her left foreleg. It reminds us of DD who is now living in OR. DD has a heart shaped birthmark on her cheek!
Also, The breeder taught her to pee on a towel. That is makes things easy!

New doeling is brown and white and our doeling Muirne is the black and white.
20170316_195629.jpg

See the heart?
20170317_093437.jpg

20170317_211526.jpg

20170317_211538.jpg

20170317_211546.jpg

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, Dunfhlaith kidded last night. On a night I finally went to sleep in my bed and didn't wake up multiple times to check the camera!:he The single kid was dead this morning. At first I blamed myself but after examining it I knew there was nothing I could have done. It was still in the placenta. After removing it from the kidding stall I started exploring. The back was laid over the front torso area and most of the intestines were kept together by the placenta itself. It was very clearly formed incorrectly. I have never seen that before. I was not able to determine it's sex by the cursory exam I gave it. The intestines and everything looked healthy. I fear it was alive before birth and either going through the birth canal killed it or not being able to get out of the placenta or the fact that it simply couldn't survive outside it's dam.

Dunfhlaith is the one doe who's kid(s) (boy or girl) we were desperate to keep. :barnie

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We milked Dunfhlaith out for her colostrum which is in ice cube trays in the freezer (thanks SBC for that idea!). I was very impressed with her teats and orifice! The colostrum came out so easily. She will be a dream to hand milk! I just really wish we could have a kid from her. I am not looking forward to telling my husband what happened... :hide

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Now I am going to be spending time away from studying to "study" various causes for deformed fetuses in small ruminants. This has me wondering about my other two, Chloe and Corley... I am DEFINITELY having December kids next year!!! I do not like worrying about them while I am in school!!

BTW, Corley was due Sunday...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry for yet another loss... At least this time there would have been nothing you could have done regardless. Birth defects are always something that make you wonder... Better luck next time with her.