Denton County TX-2 Katahdin/Dorper Wethers for sale

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, I have two 16 mo wethers for sale, $200 each OBO. I had hoped they would eat grass but they are competing with the goats for pasture! They come when called, love the occasional animal cracker, and while not overly friendly, were not a problem when I had them shorn last month. Current on CDT shots too. email me at jrios58tx@gmail.com if interested.

Attachments

• 20220520_175527.jpg
    20220520_175527.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220520_075201.jpg
    20220520_075201.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just curious; why did they need shearing if they are Katahdin/Dorper cross?
They still need it annually because they get too hot in Texas weather. They're much happier! One has quite a bit of wool/hair, the other not as much

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can't sell them, you can always have them processed for the freezer! Have you put them on Craigslist? In your area, then should sell well for meat.

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you can't sell them, you can always have them processed for the freezer! Have you put them on Craigslist? In your area, then should sell well for meat.
Well....i got them from a friend, who sold them as pets/lawnmowers. She wouldn't be real happy if she found out we ate them! Besides, i think they're a little old.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would take them to auction and sell them. Your friends can be told they were bought as pets. As in "Fluffy was getting old so she went to a nice retirement home". LOL

Let's be blunt. Giving "pets" to friends is not a nice thing to do when they don't want them or can't keep them anymore. Just because you have some pasture was no reason to burden you with 2 additional mouths to feed! And now you will feel guilty if you get rid of them!

Since you are in Texas you are suffering through the same drought and lack of hay that everyone else is. Do you have the hay to take everyone over the winter? Do you want to pay the exorbitant price for hay? No hay is available in east Texas. (Ask Baymule) My cattle tenant is bringing 3rd quality cow hay in from Kansas and Oklahoma. He says he may have to take his cattle off my 44 acres and feed lot them until we get rain. There is still grass in my fields, but we don't want it overgrazed. He is careful about pasture too. He is pulling his cattle in from his own pastures to feedlot with this drought.

No matter how sweet those wethers are, sell them before you have to cut your own goat herd due to lack of feed. In this drought and heat, time to think like a rancher.