Depressed mini pig?

proudpiggyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have an almost 2 year old Juliana mini pig. He is a castrated male. Very friendly, always roaming around and of course very food motivated. We had an accidental pregnancy with our gilt right before this guy got neutered. Well a few days ago I separated the babies from everyone else for weaning as they'll be off to their new homes soon. Now my male seems depressed. It coincides perfectly. He never really seemed interested in the babies at all but I guess he must miss them..? He won't eat, barely drinks, and rarely leaves the barn except to pee. I haven't actually seen him poop but I'm not out there 24/7. I've been spending extra time with him and trying to get him outside and going but he doesnt seem to want to. He didn't even want to eat a peanut butter sandwich with maple syrup on it!!! Just looking for advice or similar stories. Wondering how long this could last. Maybe once the babies leave our farm he will start to perk up? They can't see each other but can hear each other. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• DD23613B-6E3C-4EB4-9930-8215BFCB7445.jpeg
    DD23613B-6E3C-4EB4-9930-8215BFCB7445.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 85

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have an almost 2 year old Juliana mini pig. He is a castrated male. Very friendly, always roaming around and of course very food motivated. We had an accidental pregnancy with our gilt right before this guy got neutered. Well a few days ago I separated the babies from everyone else for weaning as they'll be off to their new homes soon. Now my male seems depressed. It coincides perfectly. He never really seemed interested in the babies at all but I guess he must miss them..? He won't eat, barely drinks, and rarely leaves the barn except to pee. I haven't actually seen him poop but I'm not out there 24/7. I've been spending extra time with him and trying to get him outside and going but he doesnt seem to want to. He didn't even want to eat a peanut butter sandwich with maple syrup on it!!! Just looking for advice or similar stories. Wondering how long this could last. Maybe once the babies leave our farm he will start to perk up? They can't see each other but can hear each other. Thanks!!!
Eh...

Being a little off feed is maybe a depressed thing...

Barely drinks would make me panic and take him to the vet.

Did you try to put some molasses or some such in his water? Just a touch of sugar to tempt him to drink?

Give us an update!

proudpiggyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Eh...

Being a little off feed is maybe a depressed thing...

Barely drinks would make me panic and take him to the vet.

Did you try to put some molasses or some such in his water? Just a touch of sugar to tempt him to drink?

Give us an update!
After a trip to the vet, an anti inflammatory shot and an antibiotic shot, I gave him some gravol, pepto bismol and pedialyte and Wilbur is eating!! Let's hope he keeps it up! The vet said he seems fine but gave the shots in case we were missing something

proudpiggyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I wonder what was wrong
No idea. It will drive me bonkers if I try to figure it out. Just happy he ate his dinner. Crossing my fingers he eats breakfast tomorrow morning! We lost a baby pig last winter 3 weeks after we got her due to not eating and I had no idea (my own fault for not paying better attention). I don't think she was actually even weaned properly or at all. She was terrified and didn't eat or drink and by the time we brought her to the vet they did everything the could and kept her overnight but the next day she died. I was devastated and scarred for life. Learned apt about pigs and blood sugars though