1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Gift from the Neighbour
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

design ideas for sheep hay feeder?

Discussion in 'Equipment & Supplies' started by newton the goat, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mar 17, 2017
    newton the goat

newton the goat Loving the herd life

Does anyone have any blue prints for a homemade hay feeder? We just had a quick solution of netting stuck to the wall, but in their hast to get the hay, they have ripped pieces off the wall and now the hay is all over the floor :he!! I have seen many on pint rest but I was wondering what works for everyone else.

2. Mar 17, 2017
    norseofcourse

norseofcourse True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

I like the Premier1 design, the plans are free on their website. It uses mostly 2 by 4's, and it's pretty easy to build. I used sheep/goat panels for the grate part instead of Premier1's panels, easier and cheaper to get locally. I've built two of them so far, the single sided style.

3. Mar 18, 2017
    mysunwolf

mysunwolf Loving the herd life

We use a wooden pallet attached at an angle to the barn wall by two boards. I had to add a few slats to keep the hay in better and keep heads out. It looks a little like this (not my photo):
    DIY-Pallet-Hay-Feeder.jpg

We've also used livestock panels tied to the fence at an angle as well, here's an example photo (also not my photo):

panelfeeder1.jpg

Alibo likes this.
  4. Mar 18, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

There are also several threads on here about this particular subject with other pictures of what folks have done/used.

misfitmorgan likes this.
  5. Mar 25, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Loving the herd life

We tried the livestock panel thing and it isnt very good honestly...though it is quick to make. They rub all their neck hair off, waste a lot of hay, and if you put them to low they will climb in them and try to nap in them...full of hay.

I'm with @norseofcourse the premier1 style seems the best, but i would skip buying their panels as well. The sheep/goat panels at TSC are half the price of the premier1 panels and you could make 4, 4ft feeders or 2, 4ft double sided feeders from one TSC panel for $52.99 compared to $122 for 2 premier1 panels plus freight shipping.

newton the goat likes this.
  6. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:44 AM
    Nathan Justice

Nathan Justice Exploring the pasture

My neighbors that I petsit for when they are out of town uses a Cattle panel cut up into four pieces and has it tied together into a square and the goats have to stick their head through it and it causes them to waste less hay! I plan to do this with my goats too!

newton the goat likes this.