Deterring Coyote/Coy dogs

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I hope the Night Guard does work. I' hoping that that was not a fluke night and that it really is keeping them at bay.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I hope the Night Guard does work. I' hoping that that was not a fluke night and that it really is keeping them at bay.
I second that! And thank you.

Kellykidz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Here is a steamy romantic get away.

Its a cool, brisk night and your horseback with some guy that looks like Sam Elliot in dirty cowboy boots, a black hat and some very nice blue jeans :p . You ride silently down the fence line guided only by the bright moon light until you find the spot your looking for.

A cow wallowing on the ground as she delivers a steamy calf. (told ya it was steamy)

You and your ever so handsome companion find a secluded spot in the brush and wait. The silence is broken when he speaks softly to you "you 'bout done with that soda? I gotta pee and I need the bottle"

Romantic huh?

Then it happens. THe moment you've been waiting for.........the coyote pack comes. The same one that has been attacking and killing calves as they are born, tearing up the cow in the process. They've smelled this old girl and her birthing and have come for the goods.

They quickly make their way in and start circling.........

and BAM BAM BAM.........three are down and the rest have tucked their tail and headed for the hills.

As you sit there, privately pleased with yourself for having saved another calf, waiting to go on to search some more, you hear that voice again, speaking softly again........"huh. wanna beer?"

Romance. It's what its all about.
Love your romantic evening!

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just had to add, that with the hurricane and the power outage the coyotes came in closer then they had been. We hadn't had any issues since we put up the night guard, but with the power out the coyotes got brazened.
However, I will say that the night guard still seemed to keep the critters leery, and away. Once I shot at them they stayed away as well, but if anyone was currious about how the night guard is working; I would say its doing pretty good.
Still getting an LGD for safe measure, im not sure how the Night guard will do in long term.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the night guard! I have a poultry customer who might be interested. They just "lost" one of their birds to something, and of course it was their favorite one!

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here is a bit more feedback on the night guard. So far so good, the coy dogs appear to have moved away from our house and ventured further into the forest behind us; our neighbor has been having issues with them up the road, but so far the night gaurd appears to have been keeping them away; even our next door neighbor has not seen them showing up on his game cam.
Now we have gone from Coy dogs at the fence line every night to practically nothing.
Now I am going to remain pessimistic and assume this is only short term (Because if I dont they will come back knowing my luck) and will be getting an LGD in the spring as added protection.
I just thought you all should be given another update!

Latest posts