Devon Milking Cows (New Pics 1/29/14)

Debby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Big news for the farm. The Devon Milking Cows arrived two weeks ago. Lark and Baby Cakes, both 2 1/2 months old. They are enjoying their new digs and I'm just plain loving them.

323_img_1190.jpg

323_img_1186.jpg

323_img_1213.jpg

For those who haven't heard of Devons, they are a triple purpose bred--milk, beef and oxen. It is a very old breed of red cattle that was imported from England in the early 1600s. They have survived only in the United States and only about 600 are registered here. Their reputation is one of docile temperment and hardy constitution, medium size, and milk with high butter fat.

Here's a link to the American Milking Devon Association:

http://www.milkingdevons.org/

These are my first cows, poor things. I'm learning on them. They are very patient with me and are leading pretty well already. They are a pleasure.

Debby

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Oh, how cute! I am jealous! I thought they were huge when I saw the first picture, then when I saw the one with the horse....OH!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Nice looking babies!

Are you going to deal with those problems growing on their heads?

Reactions: TAH

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nice calves! My friend used to do the milking Devons as steer/oxen when we were in 4-H. They had a nice, level head about them and very docile. If yours are girls however, I would dehorn for your safety. now is better than later, less $ and less stress for them. thanks for sharing! :love

Debby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, the breeder warned me to get used to the admonistions to dehorn. She wasn't kidding.

The Devon is a heritage breed and they are never dehorned. (I'm pretty sure that is a love of tradition and nothing more. Many of the owners are history buffs.) But if mine are dehorned I wouldn't be able to show them or sell them as Devons. I did have my doubts, but in the end decided to go with the breed, horns and all.

Thanks for looking out for me! And thanks for the compliments. I think they are pretty neat, but I'm biased.

D

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have to just chime in here, again. I have (well, had) highland cows. My Keeper has horns......the beef do not. It is just for safety issues, we just dont want to see anyone get hurt. BUT, it is totally your opinion, and we respect that. I totally understand about keeping the horns so you can keep them marketable. And hey, keep those pictures coming!