Devonviolet Acres Poultry Journal

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the BR's! I wanted to warn you about the "Ameracanas". Anything at the hatchery or feed store that is labeled ameraucana or Araucana is an Easter egger unless it is clearly marked as a PB TRUE ameraucana and the chicks are are at least $15/chick.
Wow! That's good to know, Goat Whisperer. I wasn't aware that there was a difference in breed with Ameracana/Ameraucana. I've seen hatchery listings for Easter Eggers and thought they were including the pastel layers with the true Ameraucana. I also wasn't aware that true Ameraucana were $15/per chick. :ep WOW! That's a bit spendy! I don't think I would spend that much now, but if I get into selling at Farmer's Market, do you know where we might get some of the PB TRUE Ameraucana chicks?

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the BR's! I wanted to warn you about the "Ameracanas". Anything at the hatchery or feed store that is labeled ameraucana or Araucana is an Easter egger unless it is clearly marked as a PB TRUE ameraucana and the chicks are are at least $15/chick.
I was curious about True Ameraucana, so went online and found these websites saying pretty much the same as you said.

http://www.cashsblueeggs.com
http://www.ameraucana.org

The second one has a Breeder's List. I found a breeder here in Texas, that isn't too far off the beaten path, from the way we go to and from Dallas. When we are ready to raise Auracanas, we will have to check this guy out.

So, thanks for the head's up, Goat Whisperer.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just finished reading this and you really had me laughing. We have twelve chickens and one roo, i am afraid of birds...any birds..every time i bend over to get the eggs out of their temporary housing, i look for snakes first (florida) and it never fails...a chicken will fly out into my face and i scream, husband laughs...i get eggs.....we are now building new chicken yard with walk in open house. Thank you for writing this post, i certainly can relate

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve learned so much since then. We have actually added two 8x16 runs on the back of the chicken coop. It’s great for quarantining animals and/or birds. Right now, we are using the combined space as a transition space for our pulets and the roosters, that we are growing out to put in the freezer. They were in the barn until they feathered out, and then they went to the run when we have transitioned them to layer feed. They are almost ready. We will probably put them with the older birds in the next day or two.

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve learned so much since then. We have actually added two 8x16 runs 9n the back of the chicken coop. It’s great for quarantining animals and/or birds. Right now, we are using the combined space as a transition space for our pulets and the roosters, that we are growing out to put in the freezer. They were in the barn until they feathered out, and then they went to the run when we have transitioned them to layer feed. They are almost ready. We will probably put them with the older birds in the next day or two.
Thats one thing about having animals, there is always fencing, building and moving things around to make thing more efficient and convenient. That is why we are moving the chicken area, so as i get older enerything is easier , more efficent and takes less time for the chores, and gives us more time to enjoy them. Hopefully this new chicken set up will keep them from scaring me by flying at me. Lol