Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:wootWell! We did it!!! WE BOUGHT THE FARM! :celebrate :weee:weee:weee

It seemed that Mr. Murphy, and his law, did their darnedest But, we finally got the keys to the farm and drove out to "our farm" this evening.

We hit a snag earlier this week, regarding the funds for our down payment. After selling our condo in PA, we put the proceeds into our PA bank account, knowing it was safe until we needed it for our new farm in TX. I guess I was thinking we could just write a check, for the deposit. Well, I learned we needed to do a wire transfer to get the money to close in 2 days! Long story short, we pulled some strings and got the funds wired into our Texas bank, so we could get a cashier's check, which we did this morning.

We went to closing, signed and initialed all the loan papers and I pulled out the bank check, to pay our closing costs. I was shocked to realize that it was not signed, by the bank manager, so it was not valid! Well, of course the title company wouldn't accept an unsigned check! So, I got on the phone with my bank, and eventually they agreed to cancel the cashier's check and wire the funds. That took another 1-1/2 hours, but we finally got confirmation that the funds had been received by the bank at 5:00!! :woot

So we drove to our new farm, to feed and water the chicken, rooster and turkey hen they left for us. When we got there, the rooster and hen were pecking in the leaves (next to the fence, in their fenced area). The turkey was over by the coop. When she saw us getting out of the truck, I got the treat of my life! :D I wish I had a video of it! :pop She held her wings out from her body and came running full speed across their fenced area. It was so comical! She was actually HAPPY to see us! I guess the fact that I had a small bag of left over corn chips, from Chipotle, didn't have anything to do with it. :lol:

image.jpg

Here she is with the rooster and hen. The turkey lays eggs, although she is currently not laying. The hen is 3 years old and has stopped laying. The sellers didn't know the chicken's breed, but I'm guessing Rhode Island Red? Does anyone know the turkey's breed? Black Spanish?

Several of you know this, but for those of you who don't, we bought five acres with a 2 year old house
image.jpg

image.jpg
t

image.jpg

It has a shed (I'm calling it our temporary barn) I'm thinking for a possible future milking parlor. If not, DH can use it for his workshop.
image.jpg

It also has a leaky small metal shed - which needs some work, but would be good for storage, and a small loafing shed (some call it a run in shed).
image.jpg

Four of the five acres is densely wooded. So, our plan is to get some sturdy fence installed ASAP a, and buy some goats. We aren't sure which breed yet, but are looking for parasite resistance, and ability to tolerate the hot Texas Summers.

I have more photos, but when I try to upload photos, clicking on the "Upload a File" button opens the pop up window, but then when I click on the "Choose File" button, it causes the page to close and reload. So, I'm giving up for now. Maybe I can upload photos some other time. :th

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did Farmer’s Market again yesterday, and had our best day ever . . . in terms of our sales and customers. I was still up until the early Saturday morning hours, finishing up printing out labels, wrapping food and attaching labels. But, we are getting our routine down, as far as getting things baked and ready for sale, and packed Friday evening, so all we have to do is load boxes in the back of the truck at 6:00 Saturday morning.

I had a blast chatting with customers, and have finally figured out how to get people, who were obviously planning to walk on by, to come buy my baked goods. :lol:

I have a vegetable dip bowl with five compartments plus the center, for dip. I cut one of each item up and place them in a compartment. It has a dome lid, so I can put a sticker (telling what it is) over each item, and the samples are covered and protected from flies!

So, back to my story. As people walk on by, I say “Hello! I have free samples. And you don’t even have to buy anything!” :D Well, 9 times out of 10, people laugh, turn and walk over to the table, to see what I have. :fl I then tell them, “Most of it is gluten and dairy free, but it doesn't taste like it! A lot of gluten free is dry and tasteless, and this isn’t like that at all!“ :D Most people say they have tried it and don’t like most gluten free, for that reason. So, I encourage them to taste my samples and 6 out of 10 end up buying something! :celebrate Many times they buy several. :weee

Then, I telll them about my goat milk lotion, natural deodorant (with Witch Hazel, glycerine and antibacterial essential oils, as well as my anti-inflammatory lotion with goat milk lotion and essential oils, that works on sore muscles, joints, fibromyalgia, restless leg and damaged nerve pain, as well as chigger, fire ant and mosquito bites. I have sample bottles of each of those as well. One lady even sprayed the deodorant on her underarms. :lol: I sold a lot of my lotions and sprays, as well! :woot

I even had customers tell me they really liked what they bought before and had come back for more, AND quite a few took my business card, so they could tell others about my products. Many people asked if we would be there next week!!! :celebrate

For a number of reasons, neither one of us can work an 8 hour job, and our social security check isn’t enough, so this is REALLY helping make ends meet until the end of the month!!! WooHoo!!! :weee

I have all kinds of ideas for things I can add to our tables in the future, not to mention fruits and veggies once we get those going. It looks like we are going to have to buy another table, to give me more display space!!! YAAAAYYYY!!! :clap

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This evening, when I went out to milk Angelica, I got some cute pics of Calendula and her mom.
0417191759a.jpg

0417191759b.jpg

Calendula just loves running up and down the steps into the barn. That little rope has helped us keep her from going under the barn.
0417191806.jpg

Here she is in DH's lap while I was milking her mama. She just totally relaxes when we have her in our laps. :love
0417191813h.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, as most (if not all of you) know, my life has been a whirlwind for the past three weeks, since DH had an emergency quadruple bypass. As each day dawns, we find him feeling better and better. However, sometimes it’s three steps forward, two steps back. Yesterday was a great day. He has been walking up and down our 200’ driveway. Yesterday, he met me out back by the barn, to “help” me cut fencing, to use as a trellis for my pole beans. He pushed the lawn mower onto the end of the roll, so it wouldn’t spring up and make it impossible to measure it. Then, he held the wire ties out, so I could use them to roll the 20’ lengths of fencing.

As happens every August, here in Texas, it is brutally hot now. Doing the chores twice a day is hard work, but I am physically up to it. I find that now that I have lost 48 pounds on my new low carb lifestyle, I have an amazing amount of energy and strength. So, I don’t actually mind the work. However, the heat and humidity is killing me!!! From the time I walk out the door, until the time I go back in the house, 2 - 4 hours later, I sweat profusely! My clothes are always soaked when I go in, and I have to take a shower immediately. I have been wearing a flour feed sack dish towel, folded in a triangle (looks like a babushka), to catch the sweat coming off my head. By the time I’m finished, that is soaked, like I poured water on my head. :th

I’m the kind of person, who, once I am in motion doing a job, one thing leads to another, and by the time I’m finished, it’s hours later, and I have gotten a LOT done. Well, lately has not been any different. As an example . . . I keep hay, for the livestock, in 3 big plastic tubs, in the corner of the feed shed. I still had a half tub and could have gotten by with that tonight, as I had already packed Hope’s hay feeder FULL and it would last for at least a day and a half, for her and the twins. But, I was on a roll, and grabbed one of the empty tubs and filled (packed it tight) it. But that wasn’t enough, I grabbed the half full one and filled that one. Oh heck! If two are good THREE are better, right??? I’m already covered with hay, I might as well fill all three! UGH! I HATE hay sticking to my wet arms! :eek:

The other problem I have is my feet. They still hurt, and my right ankle swells up, until I can sit in my recliner with the foot rest up. But, usually by morning, the pain is gone, and I am back at it.

So, yesterday, after DH took his afternoon nap, we drove to Sulphur Springs, to get him a prescription. Our first stop was at a thrift store, so see if I could find some pants, as all of my current pants are huge after my weight loss. I didn’t have a lot of time, because they were closing in 25 minutes, but I did manage to find one pair of Lee Riders slim boot cut jeans. SCORE! They were on sale, and I paid a grand total of $1.50 for essentially new (to me) pants. :celebrate

After getting some dinner, we went to Walmart, to het his prescription. While we were there, he decided to push a shopping cart (for balance), rather than ride one of their electric carts. He was so proud of himself, as he managed to stay on his feet almost the whole time we were in the store. :weee But, by the time we went to the truck, he said, “I’m spent!!” and when we went home, he spend the rest of the night in his recliner. :D This morning, he was tired, but managed to keep moving and get some things done in the house.

I went out, to do chores, at 8:00, after getting my milking supplies together and getting dressed. After I finished the chores, I started looking at the cluttered countertop, in the feed shed. :th:duc DH is a sweetheart, but organized he is not!!! I have been asking him to clean and organize the countertop in there, for years. That is his domaine, and I don’t like to do it for him, because he just clutters it up within a week or so. So, I figure, since this will be MY domaine for the next five or so months, I could clean and organize it for ME!!! So, one thing led to another, and the entire 16 feet of countertop is now clean and organized into boxes. It feels SO GOOD!!! But, I am not done yet! OH NO!!! The next time we go to Walmart, I am buying CLEAR boxes, to put things in, so they are even more organized and I can FIND things!!!!! In the past, I have always had to ask DH where something was, because he knew exactly where everything was in that MESS! It would have just irritated me to try to find it. NOW I will know exactly where everything is. :celebrate

Oh, and I bought a tabletop fan yesterday, that I am going to hang in the rafters of the feed shed, so it blows on me when I am working in there. With all this heat and two small vents and the door, it is sweltering HOT in there, and miserable to work in. So hopefully, a fan blowing on me will make it more tolerable. :weee

I’m also going to add a half deep shelf over the countertop (out of 2x4s), so the countertop itself isn’t cluttered with the plastic boxes I’m putting things in. :celebrate YAY! :) It’s going to be a lot less depressing to work in that dark (except for a single hanging bulb), hot feed shed!!! :clap

My dream is to one day build a feed shed to MY specifications with LOTS of storage, to keep things organized. :fl

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is hot outside, I can well attest to that. DV, you be careful out there and don't over do it......yeah, right. I have to remember who i am talking to. :lol: Soaking wet can be accomplished merely by standing outside doing nothing, much less all the hard work you are doing.

So you organize DH's space, clean up the clutter, place things neatly in clear tubs, and when your husband finally is able to return to his little world, he will find that is has been vandalized by Martha Stewart. :D =D:D =D:D =D

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our new little girls are thriving! This morning I saw them jumping straight up! I just LOVE it when they do to that! :celebrate

Here are the little princesses napping this morning.
IMG_20200221_103024009.jpg

Yesterday, I took Rosemary into the barn and put her in a stall, so she would be ready to kid. Her back end was looking like she could go any minute. I hated leaving her in the barn yesterday evening, because she looked so sad in the stall by herself. However, this morning she wasn't alone! She had two little boys, that apparently had just been born. When I picked them up they were soaking wet. So Craig and I got busy with towels and dried them off and cuddled them to warm them up. They are so stinkin cute! Oh and I'm thrilled! They have their mother's Nubian ears!

One of them we are calling Junior, because he looks just like Danny Boy!

The other one is black with brown markings and one white spot. he looks exactly like his grandmother, Rosemary's mother. I've been calling him Blackie, but I think I'm going to call him Midnight, because he is mostly black.

Here are the new little boys with their Mama.
IMG_20200221_100726841.jpg

IMG_20200221_100004233.jpg

Here is Junior
IMG_20200221_095242928.jpg

Here is Midnight
IMG_20200221_094710989.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts