Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are these your chicken pens?
Well, we built them for the chickens, and did have the pullets & Pekins in them last Fall. But when we needed to give Ruby & Falinal their own space after they had their kids, we moved them in to these chicken runs. The shelters are perfect size for the does & kids. :)

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, 2 final pics, showing the finished gate & latch.

0527171515.jpg
0527171513.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A REAL gate instead of that infernal wire gap! :thumbsup It looks real nice. I know you are proud of the improvement! I love the pic of your DH using the T-post puller! I love mine! We used it last week on a wood post in the dilapidated old fence on the back to pull a wood post sunk 5 feet in the ground! :th

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
A REAL gate instead of that infernal wire gap! :thumbsup It looks real nice. I know you are proud of the improvement! I love the pic of your DH using the T-post puller! I love mine! We used it last week on a wood post in the dilapidated old fence on the back to pull a wood post sunk 5 feet in the ground! :th
  • YIKES!!! :ep 5 feet in the ground ? ! ? ! I struggle to get a post 3 feet in the ground! I can't imagine getting one 5 feet in the ground!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I look at the background of those pics and see the humidity. It's been a grey haze over here and now there are storms moving SE from the NW that should get here early morning. Looks like the forecast is now for 30-50% chance of rain for basically the whole of this coming week.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
the gates look great. I wish someone would come to my house and fix fence...
and if you and @CntryBoy777 don't quit talking about blackberry cobbler and homemade ice cream one of you is going to have to get me a new computer. I keep drooling on this one and they just can't take that much moisture ya know. did the duck eggs you put under edith hatch? so far 2 have hatched under my hen, i'm just hoping the rest of them hatch too. later gator

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
the gates look great. I wish someone would come to my house and fix fence...
and if you and @CntryBoy777 don't quit talking about blackberry cobbler and homemade ice cream one of you is going to have to get me a new computer. I keep drooling on this one and they just can't take that much moisture ya know. did the duck eggs you put under edith hatch? so far 2 have hatched under my hen, i'm just hoping the rest of them hatch too. later gator
Sorry about the computer goatgurl! But, blackberries & homemade custard ice cream are just so dang good!!! :drool We found some more ripe blackberries last evening & had blackberries & ice cream for dessert last night. m-m-m. :drool

No, the eggs under Edith haven't hatched. Yesterday was day 37, so I guess its time to give up on these eggs. Tonight we will corral the Muscovy hens in the coop, so we know that any eggs we find, in the coop are Muscovy eggs. We will then put them under Edith & try again. In not sure she would be willing to set another 35 days, to hatch ducklings.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next we dug the post hole with the power post hole anger, with a 6" drill. This was the first time I ran the auger. It went pretty slick. I just wish the drill bit dug closer to 3' instead of the 2 feet the manufacturer saw fit to put on the anger.
Hand held power auger or tractor pto operated auger?

If the machine has a 2" shank for the auger to slide over, you can buy any length and diameter you need.
36" auger tho, on a hand held machine can be a chore to lift up out of the hole, especially if the helix/spirals are still full of dirt. 36" auger also means you will have the handles of the machine another foot higher and harder to control the longer auger when first beginning the hole. Quite dangerous.

If it's on a bobcat tho, or tire driven tractor, not a problem unless the lift won't go high enough for the longer auger to clear the ground. (some won't on compact or smaller tractors)
I ran into that when I tried to put a 4' drill on my 3pt posthole auger.

Latest posts