Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do you use the elderberry syrup on/for?
I use it to prevent colds and flu. There is something in the Elderberries, that does something to the virus membrane wall, inactivating it and this either preventing the cold/flu, or allowing the body to heal from the illness more quickly.

Here are some links to info about it:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20031222/elderberry-fights-flu-symptoms#1

https://theherbalacademy.com/the-benefits-of-elderberries-sambucus-nigra-and-sambucus-canadensis/

https://preventdisease.com/news/10/120210_prevent_colds_elderberry.shtml

And here is my recipe:

Elderberry Honey Syrup

2 cups dried Elderberries
6 cups Filtered Water
2 oz sliced, peeled ginger root, cut into small pieces
36 oz (Net Wt) Raw/Unfiltered Honey (Local honey is best)

Combine Elderberries, ginger and water.

On stovetop heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

While hot, use immersion blender to remove fruit from seeds (approximately 5 minutes).

Pour into large fine screen strainer over a large bowl. Using large spoon, stir, scrape, mash berries until most of the fruit is off seed and moisture is squeezed out. Rinse strainer with an additional 1/2 to 1 cup more of filtered water, to get all the residual goodness of the berries.

Cool to body temp and add honey. Heating raw honey destroys the enzymes, that give honey it's healing qualities.

Pour into 1/2 gallon canning jar or 2, 1-quart canning jars and refrigerate. I put some in a used honey bottle for easier dispensing. Store in refrigerator. It lasts a long time in the fridge.

To minimize risk of getting the cold/flu virus, take 1 Tablespoon of this syrup daily. If you do get a cold, start taking 1 Tbsp three times daily for the duration of the illness plus 3-4 days.

Just ask @Baymule and her DH. They will tell you this stuff really works!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bookmarked the page. I would have to find some elderberries to use it though.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bookmarked the page. I would have to find some elderberries to use it though.
I used to buy my Elderberries on Amazon, and paid $14.99. I just went to look, and it is $13.88 for 16oz now. Shipping is free if you spend $25 or more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVW4JE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before I figured out where there were wild Elderberries, I bought four varieties of (for cross pollination) bare root plants, online, at Stark Bro's. I can't remember what I paid, but it was something rediculous, like $8/plant. They grow in planting Zones 4-8. I'm not sure where you are in Vermont. But, I'm guessing you are close to the 4, on that scale. We are in 7b.

ETA: I found the order number, for Stark Bro's. I ordered them on 3/31/17. For 4 plants (2 Adams & 2 John's), I paid $29.95 +$14.95 shipping. So, for four plants, I paid less than $45! Not bad!

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are in 5A though if we get a really cold winter it will be 4B. I've not actually seen 4B temps in probably 15 years.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning I made Ricotta Cheese. :drool once again we have an other yummy cheese! That makes four different cheeses we have made so far:

Chèvre
Mozzarella
Cottage Cheese
Ricotta

Most recipes for Ricotta call for whey. However, the other day, we made cream with 8 gallons of milk. [We got two quarts f cream!] So, I have a lot of skim milk.

After draining the curds for 15 minutes, I added salt & cream. I was just blown away with how good it is! Although it doesn't taste anything like store bought Ricotta.
0808171251a.jpg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got a late start, today, because of torrential rains, that started early this morning and took their time to move past our area.

Falina was so cute! We usually open the goat yard gate & she runs to the milk stand. DH opened the gate when I was walking out to milk Falina. She saw me coming and ran to meet me. She started to nibble on the fig tree, so I called to her and she came running. We walked to the milk hut together. It was so sweet! :love

Shortly after I started milking Falina it started ay torrential downpour again. :th At first I thought, "Great!" But, then I thought, no it's fine, we have a tarp over the hoop hut. Then I started getting wet! The tarp is breaking down in the sun, and we now have holes in the tarp! :barnie It did keep me dry, for the most part, though. So, I guess we will have to buy some UV safe plastic, to cover the hoop house, now.

When it was time to make the exchange with Falina and Ruby, I went o open the stanchion, and bent down, so Falina could sniff my face, like she seems to like doing. This time she gave my face a lick! She has never done that before! :love It just made my heart melt!:celebrate

Last edited: