Devonviolet Acres

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your bees Babs... No idea why you have such bad luck with them...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s one of the arguments around No Cal being the 51 state. Who gets the water?

The dividing line would be around Williams
I'm pretty sure most of the water shipped south comes from south of there anyway. But it doesn't matter, the water rights were purchased WAY long ago, they aren't owned by the state. Whoever owns them now will own them even if the source "moves" to a new state.

Kinda funny dividing line really. The vast majority of the population if CA is south of Williams. Those who want it divided (presumably those north of the line) would have to convince the eligible voters in a population of about 39 million others to vote for it. What are the arguments that would convince them it is in their best interest?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sure that the 39 million would be happy to get rid of us, it is really a different world up here. But unfortunately as more more Bay Area "liberals" move here to escape from the gangs and the crime they bring all of it with them are we are facing the same issues. They are the kind that want to live in the country but not live next to a farm...

I really don't pay much attention to the politics of the split as it will never happen.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are the kind that want to live in the country but not live next to a farm...
Sadly that happens all over. And they WANT to live next to the farm, they just don't want to listen to farm sounds or smell the farm. Tractors running early and late and everything in between? Roosters crowing? Animal poop that doesn't smell like lavender dryer sheets? Have to get some zoning changes in here!

And, again as everywhere, every farm field that gets turned into a housing development raises the price of land in the area and taxes on the farmers. And thus more fields get turned into housing developments.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it seems that the worst, of the rain, is past us. We have gotten a total of 7-1/4 inch in the past 4 days.

@Baymulet & @Latestarter should be getting some nasty stuff in about 30 minutes.

We had a nasty storm about a half hour ago, with TORRENTIAL downpour. The puddles were going away, but the lakes are back & the ducks are lovin' it!

0224181400b~2.jpg
0224181359a~2.jpg
0224181400.jpg
View attachment 44368

It's not too bad, but as you can see, our road has flooded.
0224181451.jpg

Back in the Winter of 2015 it flooded a lot worse. I have been trying since then to get the county to raise the road (in 2 places) & put in culverts to manage the rain water runoff, and was told they were planning on doing it. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our rainfall total comes in at 6 1/4 inches. Unless @Latestarter got more rain than you, it looks like you are the WINNER! Tomorrow we are supposed to see sunshine and the next day too. The rain is coming back and we can start the contest all over again! Understand this is one contest that I do not mind being the loser. :plbb

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is looking like the more severe stuff is happening north of us here...a few tornados are being reported, but the line is still to our west and should be arriving within the hour....just hope we don't lose power....:)