Devonviolet Acres

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
DV, I have an incubator that you are welcome to borrow. I will probably use it a couple of times to replenish my flock, but I won't use it all year long! More than happy to share it. It is an incu-view. I ordered it after reading a LOOOOONG thread on BYC about Incu-view incubators.

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-incubators/combokits/incuview-combo-kits.html

You would be able to sell some chicks so you could take your "chick money" and order your own. And you could decide if you liked it or wanted another brand.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought about hatching out some chickies next year and selling them straight run, since I probably wont be able to tell whos who when they are born. :) I did that one year and sold them as mix breed since I have several different breeds of chickens and a SLW rooster. Not sure he's all that fertile though. The BO I had, when I hatched out eggs from him, every one hatched. This rooster, not such a good track record. :idunnoMight see if I get better results next year. I plan on getting rid of some of the older hens anyway since I dont think they are laying anymore. Get some fresh stock.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for your generous offer! Sounds good for both the incubator AND the Easter Egger trade. :D

Thanks for stopping by today. Of course I always love seeing you and your DH. You give the BEST hugs! I also enjoyed meeting your DS and sharing my Earl Grey Cultured Pickles with y'all! :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did a lot of research before buying an incubator. They get pretty expensive and cheap ones are......cheap. I was impressed with the level of customer service and the incubator itself. You can try mine before buying one for yourself.

It was good to see you and your sweet husband, glad y'all stuck around and waited for us to get there. For the rest of you, that huge hog we took to slaughter......since I was having trouble finding room for all the meat, I wasn't going to keep the fat. DV requested the fat for making lard, so we took it to her.

Those pickles were GOOD!!!!

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a GFQ Genesis Hovabator 1588 incubator. I got it because I was tired of constantly having to monitor the temps in the ones you adjust yourself. This one the temp is preset and stays there and it circulates the air. I use an automatic egg turner until day 18. The only thing I have to watch is the humidity and for that I have two humidity monitors so I can take the average and adjust it. To add water I take a piece if tubing you would use for fish tanks and put thru a plug ontop to one of the trays. I then use a syringe to add water or remove if the humidity is too high. Cost me about $150 but I love it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you & DH got better, quickly. Isn't easy to do chores when you're sick & hurting! Of course, animals just say "tough, get with it" and eat happily. :rolleyes: They have us trained.

Believe your farmer's market ends soon, or has? I see you posting more again. Nice.

Chicks and Spring -- yep, that's a good thing. You have a hard time beating TSC to the punch around my area but, some people prefer those from a home flock because they feel better than not knowing the hatchery they came from. Of course, others could are less!

People buy a lot of chicks from the farm markets here...some of which are AT TSC. Believe they like diversity of size, type, etc. that's available at those events. Many feel more comfortable with chicks that are feathering and/or a couple of months old.

Have a nice Sunday -- continue to feel better!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might want to ask some locally owned beauty shops. I had 3 with my soaps. Women do most of the shopping!