Devonviolet Acres

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too am happy your brother and his wife are safe. Really sad for all those who lost property or loved ones.

I wonder what people who are going to rebuild can/will do to substantially decrease the potential for a repeat occurence.

Not sure how I feel about suing PG&E. Unless they were grossly negligent in some way, "stuff happens". People want their power, would complain if it were cut off. If the fire started because a tree on someone's property was blown down on a power line, snapping it and causing a fire, would they be sued? Probably not because they aren't a faceless company with a lot of insurance coverage.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder what people who are going to rebuild can/will do to substantially decrease the potential for a repeat occurence.

Not sure how I feel about suing PG&E. Unless they were grossly negligent in some way,

@Ridgetop has talked about keeping a 200’ clear zone between a structure and the closest trees/brush. I think she said when the fire reached the cleared space it didn’t have any fuel for the fire, so it went around their house.

My brother did have the forest coming right up to his house. I plan to mention clearing a safety zone to him, when he isn’t quite so stressed over the rebuilding process.

As far as suing PG&E, there was talk on the news, about PG&E being negligent. I’m not sure about the details. With thousands of homes burning to the ground, there will likely be a class action law suit. So, it wouldn’t be just my brother suing them.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, I know it wouldn't be your brother on his own. I've heard and read other comments that PG&E should be sued.

A 200' clear zone in many neighborhoods would mean no plants anywhere in the city. A lot 400'x400' is about 3.6 acres. And the lot would have to be bigger than that since the 200' is to the side of a structure.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
A 200' clear zone in many neighborhoods would mean no plants anywhere in the city. A lot 400'x400' is about 3.6 acres. And the lot would have to be bigger than that since the 200' is to the side of a structure.
I don’t think the 200 foot rule would apply in the city. More so, when woods or forest is adjacent to the property, and an out of control forest fire could quickly burn structures in it’s way.

I could be wrong, but I would think in the case of my brother’s lot, he would be clearing outside his property line, since I believe the expansive forest, adjacent to his property, is owned by the state. I think maybe @Ridgetop was clearing outside her property line, to achieve the 200’ buffer zone. But, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dont understand why a homeowner would be responsible for clearing outside thier property line if the land is owned by the state. Shouldnt the state be responsible for that? As much money California sucks from thier citizens in taxes, they should be doing it. Plus, they have all that free help in prisons and jails to take care of it. Just doesnt seem right.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, it doesn’t seem right. But, I guess the Department of Forestry (is there such a department?) has a budget, and in the end, if (for whatever reason) it isn’t in the budget, and they can’t provide clearing of the buffer zone, and if it fell to me to do it, I would do it, to protect my property from being burned to the ground. I might grumble under my breath while doing it though.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
As much money California sucks from thier citizens in taxes, they should be doing it.
I think what I heard was, that the politicians have their pet programs, and they divert funds from where they are needed, to their pet programs. Now THAT isn’t fair, but is the sad reality of life. :duc