Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that is awesome! My DD lives in Allen, and someday I'd like to get up that way too.... for now - we're only 4.5 hours away... sheesh.

I think it's cool that ya'll are gonna meet!

We'll be heading north tomorrow.

WOW! Allen is only 20 minutes from where we are, in Far North Dallas! Since you are headed this way, maybe we could meet up while y'all are here? :celebrate Wouldn't that be cool???

We are dog sitting, for our DD, while they head for PA, to vist her DH's family. So we will be flexible with time to visit. I would love to meet you! :hugs

I got a little laugh :)lol:) when you said, "we're only 4.5 hours away... sheesh.". DD's given name is Alicia. When she was 1-1/2 or 2 she couldn't say her name. When we asked her what her name was, she would say "Sheesha", so we took to calling her that. As the years went by, it got shortened to Sheesh. Now I call her that more than I do Alicia. :D :lol:

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey Girl! I packed garden seeds today and set some aside for you and your DH.

View attachment 6186
Bottom left corner is the Thai #3 Long Beans
Top left corner is Oxacan Green Dent corn.
Top right corner is Violets Multicolored Butterbeans
Bottom right corner is Egyptian Walking Onions

WOW! That is really cool, Baymule! :weee

I can't wait to try your Thai #3 Long Bean, and see how it compares to the ones we grew. We loved those, so I am thinking we will love the Thai Beans as well.

I've never heard of Green Dent Corn, so it will be fun growing a new variety of corn.

I LOVE Butter Beans! So that is cool! :celebrate

And I have never heard of Egyptian Walking Onions. although, DH said he thinks they are the ones that when the tops fall over, they root and grow a new onion. Sounds like fun!

You have a very generous amount of seeds there, so we will have a great start in our new garden.

We aren't sure where we will have the garden though. We have an aerobic septic system, and there are three sprayers situated in the three spots that I wanted to put our garden. I just found out yesterday, that at you can't plant vegetables/food crops where there is a discharge sprayer from an aerobic system! :rant

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate aerobic systems! Be advised, that when power goes off, you can't flush your potty. Spray field=wasted space. I guess you can plant flowers.

If you rent an auger, you will have to "hurry" to get it done. If you buy one, you can proceed at your own time frame, plus they are useful for other projects too, such as drilling holes to plant trees! Just drill several holes together in a group, presto! Tree hole!

My DSIL has a GPS ap on cell phone. When we get ready to fence the wild, briar tangled, wooded side of our property, he is going to "find" the property line. We will drive T-posts at intervals, run colored string and establish the fence line. I bet your DD or DSIL can do that too. Or if your are not techno challenged like me, you might even do that yourself! There is bright pink colored string for running fence lines, easy to see.

@frustratedearthmother you will just have to suck it up and move! Devonviolet and I know this really nice area....... and NO HURRICANES to wipe you off the face of the earth! :lol:

You might want to build a small "dog yard" in the chicken run with the dog house, so they can have space to move about when you are not with them. Put wire flat on the ground, hog ring it to the pen wire, so they can't dig out and "learn" a bad habit.

Your DH is right, the Egyptian Walking onions form bulblets at the top of a long stalk and fall over, "walking" to form new plants. The green dent corn is for cornmeal, although I must admit, I haven't ground any yet. Been wanting to do that with our grand daughter, then make cornbread to see if it is green! :fl

At least we can share our new garden woes. It takes awhile to get new ground established. I think to start with, I am going to build movable hoop coops and put them in the garden area. The hens can scratch it up, poop it up and eat weed seeds. Then move it forward, rinse, repeat.

Getting the painter to help in his winter down time will be a blessing for him and for you. He might even have tools that you do not have to go buy. Since you want to get the fencing done to contain the puppies, what about a cross fence? You will cross fence it anyway, to rotate the pastures, so just build it in sections. Or at least, build the first section and that will solve keeping the puppies in. Hang gates big enough to drive truck through, you will be glad later that you did.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So excited for you! You might want to look and see if you can rent a post driver(one DH rented was air operated) and he said he'll rent one of these anytime he had to put in fence. He did 32 posts in half a day.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have met some wonderful people through this forum!:)
Some of them are no longer with BYH but we met through this site and have long lasting friendships! One of the people literally just moved in a few miles away. Babsbag flew all the way from California and stayed with us a week in Sept/Oct.
Some friendships close by and others far apart and yet we would have never met without BYH!
Such a small world after all!
Exciting that you will be meeting up with others from here! :)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate aerobic systems! Be advised, that when power goes off, you can't flush your potty. Spray field=wasted space. I guess you can plant flowers.

If you rent an auger, you will have to "hurry" to get it done. If you buy one, you can proceed at your own time frame, plus they are useful for other projects too, such as drilling holes to plant trees! Just drill several holes together in a group, presto! Tree hole!

My DSIL has a GPS ap on cell phone. When we get ready to fence the wild, briar tangled, wooded side of our property, he is going to "find" the property line. We will drive T-posts at intervals, run colored string and establish the fence line. I bet your DD or DSIL can do that too. Or if your are not techno challenged like me, you might even do that yourself! There is bright pink colored string for running fence lines, easy to see.

@frustratedearthmother you will just have to suck it up and move! Devonviolet and I know this really nice area....... and NO HURRICANES to wipe you off the face of the earth! :lol:

You might want to build a small "dog yard" in the chicken run with the dog house, so they can have space to move about when you are not with them. Put wire flat on the ground, hog ring it to the pen wire, so they can't dig out and "learn" a bad habit.

Your DH is right, the Egyptian Walking onions form bulblets at the top of a long stalk and fall over, "walking" to form new plants. The green dent corn is for cornmeal, although I must admit, I haven't ground any yet. Been wanting to do that with our grand daughter, then make cornbread to see if it is green! :fl

At least we can share our new garden woes. It takes awhile to get new ground established. I think to start with, I am going to build movable hoop coops and put them in the garden area. The hens can scratch it up, poop it up and eat weed seeds. Then move it forward, rinse, repeat.

Getting the painter to help in his winter down time will be a blessing for him and for you. He might even have tools that you do not have to go buy. Since you want to get the fencing done to contain the puppies, what about a cross fence? You will cross fence it anyway, to rotate the pastures, so just build it in sections. Or at least, build the first section and that will solve keeping the puppies in. Hang gates big enough to drive truck through, you will be glad later that you did.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Thanks Baymule. I didn't have a strong opinion before, but now that I know I can't plant vegetables where the discharge spray goes, really irritates me. It was my understanding that Aerobic systems had two discharge sprays. This system has three sprays, meaning even more ground I can't use for my veggies. :rantI was aware you shouldn't use it when the power goes out. Another reason to not like it.

You make a good point about buying an auger vs renting it. We are thinking buying it is the better option. However, DH has also used a pile driver to put posts in, after creating a pointed end on the post and said the was easier. So, for now, we are just considering our options. You and I are on the same page about doing short stretches of fencing, with cross fencing, that have gates to allow access to each pasture.

I agree, wouldn't it be cool if Frustratedearthmother moved to the area. We could meet for lunch or at least coffee once in a while, to chat and compare notes.

Interesting that you say you are planning to put moveable hoop coops where you want your garden. We were planning to do the same thing. Another thought we had, at least for the beginning is to use a metal shed, that came with the property, as a chicken coop, so we can get busy working on the goat fencing.

Your suggestion about using a GPS app sounds interesting. I mentioned it to DSIL before they flew to PA, for Christmas with his family, and it looked like he might look into it. I never know with him. :lol:

That's interesting about the green dent corn. I've never ground my own corn meal, but it might be fun to give it a try. I'm looking forward to trying the Walking onions also.

I know it's late in the day. But, I'm hoping you had an awesome Christmas! :hugs

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, our painters are hard at work, and have promised to finish by This coming Wednesday. We stopped by today, (to feed the chickens),and they have painted all the ceilings (very pale/sky blue), and all the doors and trim (white).

The entire inside, of the house, was painted the same shade of yellow tone ivory. That color worked really well with the previous owner's decorating style and color scheme. However, my decorating style is "Coastal". Hence the clean, crisp white trim. The ceiling, in the great room, is white pine tongue in groove "beadboard". The pale blue, of the ceiling, reads as white, except if you look at where the white crown molding meets the ceiling. There you can tell it is blue. The overall effect is a bright cheery feeling. All of the ceilings in the house are painted the same color.

The great room is going to be painted a pale butter cream yellow. The rest of the house will be painted with various shades of dusty blue and moss green.

We won't be seeing it again until Wednesday. Once it is finished, I will take more photos. Hopefully I will be able to capture the colors, so y'all will be able to get a feel for what it looks like in person.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is absolutely NOTHING like fresh paint in a house - especially when it's YOUR colors in YOUR new house! I'm so happy for you!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Devonviolet I like your color choices! I might have to steal some of those ideas if I ever get time to paint the inside of my place. They painted most of the inside of this house before they put it on the market - the majority of it in what had to have been called 'boring beige' lol. And everything painted the same color - walls, baseboards, trim, heck even the outlets, registers and cold air returns... yuck. I'll look forward to seeing your pics!