Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
do you grow, or have any use for camphor trees?
Oops! I just realized I didn’t answer this question. Sorry. No, I don’t grow camphor trees. If I had some, I might try to extract the wax, that is used to make camphor essential oil. However, I have read, online that the wax for making camphor, is extracted from 50 year old trees. Also, it is a pain to grow it, because it puts out so many seeds, which means camphor trees growing everywhere.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pure camphor is available on line. I used to buy it at the drug store but the last time (10 years ago) I asked for it I just got a blank look. I had to make my little block do until my son suggested several years to look on Amazon and Eureka!
:celebrate I found some!

I love pure camphor. My grandmother taught me to keep a small block in my silver chest and I haven't had to polish my sterling silver more than 3 times in the past 47 years! I keep another small block in my jewelry box, and my friend says that putting a piece with the tools keeps them rust free even in damp sheds. This time I bought some camphor oil too, and rubbed it into the wood of my carved Chinese camphor chest that I use to store woolen blankets. My antique wardrobe has a small metal box on the inside of it where a block of camphor is supposed to go for winter woolens.

What else does it do? Any other ideas?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we have some on the property and was wondering before I cleared some if ya had any use of anything from them.....none are that old and they certainly seed and sprout everywhere.....if ya did, I would send ya what ya might need....it is on the "thinning out" and "burn" lists....:)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we have some on the property and was wondering before I cleared some if ya had any use of anything from them.....none are that old and they certainly seed and sprout everywhere.....if ya did, I would send ya what ya might need....it is on the "thinning out" and "burn" lists....:)
Well, that was downright “neighborly” of ya, CntryBoy! :hugs Thanks! But, I don’t really have a need for any. :)

@Ridgetop, I found the following link with lots of uses for camphor:

https://momprepares.com/essential-oils/camphor/

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been 8 days since little Calendula was born. She is such a sweet little girl! And she is growing by leaps & bounds . . . LITERALLY and figuratively. She was 7#4oz when she was born. Last night she was 10#4oz! So, in one week, she gained a whopping three pounds!!! :ep

I am milking Angelica twice a day. Whenever I take her to the barn, I take Calendula with me. Before I take them in the barn, I let Angelica graze on weeds, so she can poop and pee. Otherwise, she makes a mess in the barn. :eek:

When angelica is grazing I put Calendula down to explore. She is like a little jumping bean on a spring. Bounce, bounce, bounce!!! :lol: Wherever Calendula goes, Angelica follows. We finally had to put a collar, with a lead rope, on Calendula, because she kept going over to the barn, looking UNDER the barn. The last thing we want, is for her to get under the barn and DH having to crawl under there, to get her. This way, if she gets too close, we just step on the rope and she can’t go under the barn.

Sorry, I don’t have any new photos. I never seem to have my phone with me when I bring the girls to the barn. I will try to remember tonight. Oooh! Maybe not! Tonight we could be in the middle of a storm at feeding/milking time. We’ll see . . . Time will tell! :)

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This evening, when I went out to milk Angelica, I got some cute pics of Calendula and her mom.
0417191759a.jpg

0417191759b.jpg

Calendula just loves running up and down the steps into the barn. That little rope has helped us keep her from going under the barn.
0417191806.jpg

Here she is in DH's lap while I was milking her mama. She just totally relaxes when we have her in our laps. :love
0417191813h.jpg