Devonviolet Acres

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have to be aware of what your symptoms mean and practically have to identify your own illnesses and treatment anymore.
That’s basically what I do, for me and DH. The only reason we go to a doctor, is to get our compounded thyroid prescription (which insurance doesn’t pay for, and which costs us each $70 every three months), and have labs done. I then look at the labs and basically figure out which herbs and supplements to deal with health issues.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was cooking a late supper last night, and just happened to look out the window, as I walked by it.. The sunset I saw took my breath away!!! It looked like the sky was on fire!!!

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had quite the storm go through here last night. I had heard reports that there was a good possibility of tornadoes in the storms. So I was more than a little bit worried. I kept watching the weather reports. Initially it looked like they were going to pass a spy to the north. However, as the evening lame time, it was obvious from the weather, maps that we were going to be hit head on.

At around 8 o’clock, the rain was coming down in sheets, and we had straight line winds coming out of the north. DH looked outside, with a flashlight, and said that the peach tree had been pushed over by the wind. He looked in the calf hut, and could see about six pairs of goat eyes looking back at him. It seemed that the goats felt safer and take care of her thing in their goat shed. :lol:

I was texting with my brother, who tends to keep an eye on our weather from his home in Northern California. I told him about our torrential rain and straight line winds, but then, shortly after that, the rain and winds died down. When I told him that he said he could tell we had more rain in the future. I tried looking at the weather map, but by then my phone and my iPad we’re not working due to the weather.

Around midnight, our power went out. Here in the country, it’s hard to know how long the power will be out, but we have a really good electric company and it usually isn’t out for very long. The longest it’s ever been out of service was about 18 hours. Since there were predictions of possible tornadoes, I did not want to go to sleep due to concerned that we might not wake up in time. So I decided to stay up until after the second storm passed.

Around 2:00 am I could tell that the rain had picked up, so I went out on the front porch. It was windy, but not as bad as earlier that evening, but the rain was coming down very heavy. It lasted for about a half hour and then started to slack off, so I went to bed.

This morning we had an inch and a quarter of rain in the rain gauge, and there were small bunches of oak leaves strewn across the grass. Some of our trees that had branches break in January from the ice storm, lost those branches during the storm. So we will have some more dead tree branches to clean up. The power finally came back on around 11:15 this morning. So it was out a little more than 11 hours. I got an email from the electric company saying that there was quite a bit of damage and that they were repairing it as quickly as they could. I have talked to friends and neighbors and we are all really happy with this electric company.

DH was out behind the barn this afternoon, and said that the sheet metal we had piled and weighted down on top of some wood, was strewn all over the field back there. but the strange thing was, we have a used calf hut, that a dairy farmer gave us, which we have been storing back there. DH said that it was where he had last seen it, except that it was upside down! o_O So apparently the wind picked it up and turned it upside down and put it right back where it was.

The only damage we had, was that the straight line winds had pushed our peach tree over. Last year we had a similar storm that did the same thing to an apple tree. DH pounded t-posts in the ground and attached ratchet straps to the tree and the t-posts and used the straps to pull the tree upright. we left the t-posts and straps in place for three months, and by then the tree was settled in and didn’t fall over again. So tomorrow we are going to go out and do the same thing with the peach tree. We are fairly confident we shouldn’t have a problem with that.

Other than that, we were blessed to not have any other damage. A friend of ours who lives in a doublewide had part of their roof come off, and I’m pretty sure they they have water damage now. They live on the same property as their son and his family, so they have temporary moved in with them.

I talk to a friend of mine this evening, and she said Winnsboro, a small towns south east of us, got hit pretty hard. They have several huge trees that were uprooted by the wind and lots of branches down. So I feel like we were definitely blessed and protected from any real damage!

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will have to check and see if it hit Sulphur springs and Yantis. Power outage confirms that we will need to get a generator, even if only a small one to run the freezers/fridge. We have a fireplace for heat. And a large carport for the 5th wheel, truck, and stock trailer. Car will go in current carport.