Devonviolet's Broody Hen Raising Ducklings

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know this is a bit off topic, but I only post here on BYH. I'm moving this from another thread . . . I posted it late last night.
WooHoo!!! We have two baby ducklings under our broody hen! :celebrate

We have lost a couple along the way. :hit Yesterday, DH found an empty shell, but no duckling. A few days ago, there were two, that were not viable.

This morning, I decided to pull the hen out (amidst much protest) and there was one fluffy, yellow duckling! Then we realized Edith (our turkey hen) was very interested in something on the straw. It turned out to be another duckling - looking a bit scrawny and weak. I picked it up and put it back in the nest box, hoping it would be okay.

This evening, when we put the chickens away for the night, I pulled the hen out again, and there were two fluffy ducklings! The weak one from this morning was doing fine. There was another egg, that was cracked, and it looked like another duckling was working it's way out. I left it and am hoping to see three ducklings in the morning! :fl

So, I'm thinking we will have to get that stall put together, in the barn, so the hen will have a place to brood her ducklings.

I didn't have my phone with me, so didn't get a photo. But, will try to remember to get a pic in the morning.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck with her! A few years ago we had a silkie hen hatch ducklings and chicks under her. It was quite the spectacle

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the second Spring we have had her go broody. Last year we didnt have fertile eggs, so we always removed the eggs.

We got Pekin ducklings (including one drake) last Sept, and Muscovy's (also including drakes) last Feb.

The duck hens have not gone broody. So, since our gray Marans wants to go broody, I decided to give it a try. Last year, before we butchered our roosters, I tried with a different broody hen & only one (out of 5) hatched, but didn't survive long.

If I could choose, I would prefer to have more Muscovy's. But, we can't tell the difference between Muscovy & Pekin eggs, so we put 11 eggs under the brpody hen & will see what we get. I'll be thrilled to get any new ducks at this point. :celebrate

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
After milking, browsing & trimming hooves, I was finally able to get photos of our now THREE ducklings! :celebrate

The hen was out of the nestbox, and there were two ducklings + an empty egg shell. As I was trying to figure out what happened to the 3rd duckling, DH realized there was a fluffy yellow duckling under the hen, on the ground. :celebrate

So, I picked it up & put it in the nestbox. Here are the best of the photos I got. :D
tmp_8372-0519171023a-1-1077763838.jpg

tmp_8372-0519171025-1-361264034.jpg

tmp_8372-0519171112b-1-1401415291.jpg

tmp_8372-0519171112d-1-430181478.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ducklings are so stinkin' cute. I get a lot of broody hens but I never thought of letting them brood duck eggs. I have 4 Rouen ducks, 2 hens and 2 drakes but the drakes are young. But I do have a friend with fertile duck eggs, this might be fun...

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last evening, when we checked the nest box, there was an empty egg shell, but still three ducklings. So, I had DH check under our turkey hen, Edith, who has also gone broody, and is sitting in the corner. Sure enough, the duckling was under Edith! So, we put it back in the nest box, with the Marans hen. So, now she has four ducklings!

There were still five eggs, that have not yet hatched. Since we are hoping for at least a few Muscovy ducklings. I discussed it with @goatgurl, who thinks all the ducklings, so far, are Pekins. Since we are on day 27 and Muscovy's take 35 days, she thinks we should put the rest of the eggs under Edith, who won't know any different, and can brood longer than the chicken would, so if there are any Muscovy's they would stand a chance of hatching.

Actually, it was dark, when we moved the eggs to under Edith. I was using a small flashlight, so DH could see what he was doing as he place the eggs under her. When the flashlight shown near a couple of the eggs, I realized the egg had a reddish glow, with a small gray area, rather than being a full shadow in the egg. Does that mean there is a duckling that isn't fully developed - since, it would still have a full week before it is due to hatch?

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I posted the following comment on my kidding thread. Oops! :hide Too much going on . . .
DH is putting together a couple stalls (in the barn), that the hen & Edith can use to raise the ducklings. The barn is still a work in progress. We need to build a ramp, going to the 6 foot door. And, of course, we still have to build the barn doors & stairs going up to the 3 foot door. :thDH has put up some scraps of OSB with chicken wire, on the big opening, to keep night time owls & other predators out, yet allow for fresh air, and he built a door, with welded wire over an opening, at the bottom of the door, for ventilation.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We moved the hen & her 4 ducklings over to the barn, this evening. It seemed that mom was very happy with their new home.
0520171847_HDR.jpg

0520171847.jpg

The ducklings took to their new home right away, as well.
0520171952.jpg

0520171954.jpg

0520171953.jpg

Next we dipped each of their beaks in the water & they started drinking right away.
0520172011g.jpg

We are feeding our birds fermented feed, so each duckling got a taste of the feed, and a couple, of them, started eating that as well, after mom had her fill.
0520172012e.jpg

Last edited: