1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Dewlap shedding?

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by Spring Flower, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Jul 18, 2019
    Spring Flower

Spring Flower Overrun with beasties

Hello guys. I have just bought two does.I was told they are NZ checkered giant crosses. They are supposed to be a year old and have had litters before. They. Both have nice dewlaps to prove that.

However one of them( I named Bugs) has chunks (if that's the right word to describe it) of hair coming of the dewlap with no effort at all. It's not like that on any part of her body but her dewlap.

I asked her previous owners and they said that she hasn't been with any males. What could cause hair coming of just the dewlap. The dewlap is nice and clean so I don't think it's any dirt or bacterial problem.

I went ahead and gave her a nest box just incase and I will wait a week to breed her.

Thanks for any and all advice/ comments

AmberLops likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Having a dewlap is no proof of having had litters, even bucks can grow them & some does kit w/o one.
    What does the rest look like? May be starting to molt.

GypsyG and AmberLops like this.
  3. Jul 18, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

All of my rabbits are molting right now...my does with dewlaps have tons of hair falling from them. I have one doe with a massive dewlap that has a litter of 4 week old kits and they're covered in her fur :lol:

GypsyG likes this.