1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Deworming Goats

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by HomesteaderLexi, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Mar 26, 2018
    HomesteaderLexi

HomesteaderLexi Ridin' The Range

What does everyone use for a good overall dewormer? I have a wormer that only treats roundworms, and want something that covers more than that. Tried to google it but can't seem to find a clear answer.

2. Mar 26, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

HomesteaderLexi likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2018
    HomesteaderLexi

Your right, I'm sorry I put the wrong thing, it treats stomach worms, Barber Pole and teladorsagia circumcincta (brown nematode parasite). My doe has been coughing and I'm trying to narrow down what it could be, I haven't had a fecal done yet but she hasn't been wormed in a few months and its been very rainy and wet for several weeks. So I'm thinking it could be worms. Going to take a temp here in about 30 minutes.
    But not only her coughing, I'm still learning and would like a better all around wormer. I know a single wormer probably won't kill all parasites that could affect goats but if I can find a better one it would be great. I will take a look at the link

4. Mar 26, 2018
    HomesteaderLexi

Temp is 102.2

5. Mar 27, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Normal temp, but that's expected with or without worms... an elevated temp or lower temp generally indicates an infection of some sort. You really shouldn't be worming "just because"... that's part of the reason that worms have developed tolerance to the poisons. You really should have a fecal done first to see if there's even an issue, THEN deworm if it's called for/necessary. you should also have a followup fecal done 7-10 days later to see if the desired results were achieved. In some areas of the country, many dewormers no longer work on some species of parasites.

Coughing at this time of year could be pollen, dust, allergies, slight cold with the constant weather changes... Hope you get it figured out! :)

6. Mar 28, 2018
    jsteph3919

jsteph3919 Exploring the pasture

I had a pregnant goat that had a cough for several months and couldnt figure out what the cause was. The vet told me not to worry about it. Strangely, after she gave birth the coughing Stop.??

7. Mar 28, 2018
    Alaskan

Alaskan True BYH Addict

I find the best answer is to find a GOOD vet (I know that that is at times impossible ) and have them come to your place, look your goats over and talk to you.

Every area will have its own disease and worm issues as well as drug resistance issues.

It it so nice to learn exactly what you need to do for your area.

Once you shell out for that first time visit. .. if you take notes, you hopefully will not need to have the vet back out, especially if the vet is willing to teach you how to do your own blood tests.

8. Apr 3, 2018
    HomesteaderLexi

Wow thanks everyone! The reason I took her temp was to make sure she didn't have an infection of somedort. I knew about parasites being drug resistant but most places I read said you should worm goats every 6 months or so because they are so prone to get them. We have a great vet who often helps with advice or meds when I call, I will call her and see what she says about having a fecal done and get a sample into her this week.

Latestarter likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2018
    HomesteaderLexi

***UPDATE***
    When I was playing with her the other day I saw she had white mucus in her nose! Called the vet and she put her on Pennecillin-B for 7 days