Deworming Goats

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What does everyone use for a good overall dewormer? I have a wormer that only treats roundworms, and want something that covers more than that. Tried to google it but can't seem to find a clear answer.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Your right, I'm sorry I put the wrong thing, it treats stomach worms, Barber Pole and teladorsagia circumcincta (brown nematode parasite). My doe has been coughing and I'm trying to narrow down what it could be, I haven't had a fecal done yet but she hasn't been wormed in a few months and its been very rainy and wet for several weeks. So I'm thinking it could be worms. Going to take a temp here in about 30 minutes.
But not only her coughing, I'm still learning and would like a better all around wormer. I know a single wormer probably won't kill all parasites that could affect goats but if I can find a better one it would be great. I will take a look at the link

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Normal temp, but that's expected with or without worms... an elevated temp or lower temp generally indicates an infection of some sort. You really shouldn't be worming "just because"... that's part of the reason that worms have developed tolerance to the poisons. You really should have a fecal done first to see if there's even an issue, THEN deworm if it's called for/necessary. you should also have a followup fecal done 7-10 days later to see if the desired results were achieved. In some areas of the country, many dewormers no longer work on some species of parasites.

Coughing at this time of year could be pollen, dust, allergies, slight cold with the constant weather changes... Hope you get it figured out! :)

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a pregnant goat that had a cough for several months and couldnt figure out what the cause was. The vet told me not to worry about it. Strangely, after she gave birth the coughing Stop.??

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does everyone use for a good overall dewormer? I have a wormer that only treats roundworms, and want something that covers more than that. Tried to google it but can't seem to find a clear answer.
I find the best answer is to find a GOOD vet (I know that that is at times impossible ) and have them come to your place, look your goats over and talk to you.

Every area will have its own disease and worm issues as well as drug resistance issues.

It it so nice to learn exactly what you need to do for your area.

Once you shell out for that first time visit. .. if you take notes, you hopefully will not need to have the vet back out, especially if the vet is willing to teach you how to do your own blood tests.

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow thanks everyone! The reason I took her temp was to make sure she didn't have an infection of somedort. I knew about parasites being drug resistant but most places I read said you should worm goats every 6 months or so because they are so prone to get them. We have a great vet who often helps with advice or meds when I call, I will call her and see what she says about having a fecal done and get a sample into her this week.

HomesteaderLexi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
***UPDATE***
When I was playing with her the other day I saw she had white mucus in her nose! Called the vet and she put her on Pennecillin-B for 7 days

Kathy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have Ivermectin sheep drench...is this ok for goats? Thanks