1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Deworming/microscopes:

Discussion in 'Organic Husbandry - Goats' started by Prairie Farm Woman, Nov 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nov 28, 2015
    Prairie Farm Woman

Prairie Farm Woman Chillin' with the herd

I am interested in getting a microscope and doing fecals for my small flocks of sheep (11) and goats (12). I have done some research of the process but when I look at the available microscopes I am overwhelmed by the many choices. They all seem about the same. I like the ones that can be viewed on my laptop. I have a Mac. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help you can give me!!! (Appreciation!)

2. Nov 28, 2015
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

3. Nov 28, 2015
    Prairie Farm Woman

Prairie Farm Woman Chillin' with the herd

Thanks, I will!

Goat Whisperer likes this.
  4. Nov 28, 2015
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

These people have the best prices for scopes. You can also attach to your computer.

As far as the kit- IMO it is a complete waste... lots of stuff you don't need.
    I like the slides and beakers from Chalix but not all slides fit under the scopes... they will but you may miss the last row... no biggy really.
    I think you can order the slides separarte from maggiedans and beakers from Chalix... you can also make your own "beaker"

http://www.maggidans.com/kte.htm

At the bottom of my page (from my website) there is a "walk through" and a slide show for everything.
    http://www.winginitfarms.com/epg-mcmasters-famacha-5pt

as you can see ours is an OLD scope, used by our vet in med school so it is a very good scope just an antique now. But it is great! Haven't found anything I like better.:D

I DO NOT like the maggiedans directions as they missed an important step and they do a different ratio...I like the 26mi + 4 gram feces with a 25 multiplier to give the EPG count they use 28/2... with a 50 multiplier

As far as putting it own your computer... this is not always a great idea when you are learning... the eggs of certain parasites look very similar and size will be your clue... when you put it on the computer it will distort that. At the same time you can get a close up...
    Digital microscopes I have found are terrible. Everyone that got one sold them and got a regular scope. You must have a mechanical stage. It needs to move L/R/U/D.

Any questions ask away.:)

Oh and yes I prefer the sugar solution as it is the best! Others can crush cysts/eggs to include Giardia.

Hens and Roos likes this.
  5. Nov 30, 2015
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

We got a scope from the site @Southern by choice listed, very nice scope. We also got a digital eye piece for the ability to see the sample on our computer and then take pictures if needed. We look at the sample under the scope first to see what is there.

Southern by choice likes this.