Deworming Pregnant Goat

hollycow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I got a Saanen about a month ago who was apparently bred by a Boer Buck about two months ago. She is not showing at all and in fact is very skinny. Her hip bones are protruding. I have been graining her but I think I should deworm her. She also has black specks on her skin in her fur, so some kind of mites, I am guessing. I usually use Ivomec 1% and I think the dosage is 1 ml per 50 lbs orally. Is it safe to deworm her while possibly pregnant? She is still active and eating and drinking well.

Thanks!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is a low dosage for a goat, It is being recommended to dose with 1cc per 22lbs orally with ivermectin and repeat in 10 days.

As far as the lice. I use a spray on lice and fly spray.

I do beleive there are some people on here that are using ivermectin as an injectable for lice. I am sure they will give you their opinion and dosage on this.

also, ivermectin doesn't do anything for tapeworms or for coccidiosis, so you may wish to do a fecal to see if ivermectin is the right wormer for you goat at this time.

Personally if I was going to worm with one wormer I would use safegaurd, at 3 x the label dosage for 3 days in a row.
And deal with the lice seperatly. Lice can really run an animal down.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most say not to worm5 days pregnant. If she is over that amount then it would be safe. Yes get a fecal before you worm. Just take a fresh sample to the vet, they will run 1 for you usually pretty cheap. then proceed from there. It might be something else.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Baby goats develop most of their size in the last 4 wks of pregnancy so she may well be pregnant and just not showing at only 8wks gestation.
And, Saanens can be on the 'supermodel' side of the weight spectram - tall and willowy.
A good milker is hard to keep weight on, but I'm assuming this doe is dry?
If not, dry her up ASAP, she needs all the nutrients going to her / fetus now.

Get the fecal and go from there...gotta know what you're fighting before you go out for battle.