Deworming Schedule

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, so we had issues with a new goat brought in a few months back and she ended up with Prohibit, Ivomec, and the booster supplement. She's a fight to give liquid to but will eat over food. Had her fecal reviewed about three months later, Coccidia (I had Corid) and they then gave her Panacur. This has been about a month since.

We plan to bring home another goat from a good farm this time and add to the group after quarantine, but I'm wondering what my dewormer schedule should be for them both and what I should be using. How often?

On hand I have Corid at this time. Would have to order the rest, we were just getting from our vet originally but would like to have our own preventative scheduling. Any help greatly appreciated!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really liked deworming all livestock before getting them to bring home.

You can ask the current owner if they would deworm before you pick up.

I just REALLY want to bring as few parasite eggs onto my property as possible.

Once at my place... I only worm when needed. For goats I went by their FAMACHA score.

It is really important though to know what kind of parasites are possible in your area... and to what drugs the parasites in your area are most likely to respond.

Up here I had a most excellent vet, and we only have a few parasites.... so my goats responded well to injectable ivermectin.

I know though, that some areas have parasites completely resistant to ivermectin.

Also remember, that parasite resistance is inherited. If you have a goat that is perpetually wormy.... you probably need a different goat.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alaskan, I greatly appreciate your input. So this new baby comes from a herd where FAMACHA is checked and THE mother is said to be greatly resistant - they have not dewormed as they do the same and use FAMACHA score to dictate worming but I will be having a fecal checked with vet.

As for our other one, well, we end up with all the reject animals it seems sometimes. She's provided problems over again since we got her but we treat her and tend her and love her the same. I have been checking with FAMACHA on her and she is looking very good nice coloring since her last round.