Dexer/Jersey cross advendure

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm not ready to buy my cow yet, but my friend found a 20 month old, bred, dexter/jersey heifer in an Amish publication. I wanted to call and ask some questions (like price) and let them know I will be interested in a few months if they have a similar cow available.

The only contact info is an address so my friend and I are going to go over there this morning. It is only 26 miles from my house! I hate to drop in on people unannounced but in this case there is no other way, as they are probably Amish and don't have phones. I'll let you know what I find out. If I were only ready to buy... I would be dragging a trailer along with me.

After doing additional research, I've decided a dexter/jersey cross would be better for us than a pure bred dexter. Does anyone have any dexter/jersey experience they'd like to share. I want to do grass-fed and use little if any grain. We have some nice grass with clover and alfalfa mixed in. I don't want a skinny cow.

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My plan is to have a family milk cow that can produce good dual purpose calves. Unfortunately I am not ready for her until I'm out of school.

The good news is I got to go see the cow! Not only is she 1/2 Jersey,1/2 Dexter she is half MINIATURE Jersey. Her mother was right there and is a magnificent milker who produces 5 gallons of milk a day. Enough for an Amish family of 14 and all the milk, cream, and butter they could want. At 7 years old she still has a really nice udder. She is a very cuddly cow and constantly wanted petted and scratched.

The dexter cross daughter who was for sale won't give as much milk, probably, but should give enough for us. She was a little shy since she didn't know my friend and I. She is nice and beefy looking but you can still see the Jersey in her. She is a beautiful red color with black brindle stripes. She also naturally polled. More or less my dream cow. She should calve about May.

If I were ready for her I would have brought her home for sure. The farmer won't have anymore Dexter crosses for sale because the Dexter bull was borrowed, but he may have some mini jerseys later on. He said I could come back in the summer and see if he has anything for sale. I can't call him of course. Maybe I'll get super lucky and he will still have the dexter cross I saw today. If not I'll get a mini jersey. This farmer will rent out his mini jersey bull so I have a way to get my cow bred. I feel I made a good homesteading connection today.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You say you aren't ready for her since you aren't out of school yet; but it sounds like she is too good to pass up. Maybe get a second calf started on her with hers when she calves and then just milk once a day? Are you going to be getting out of school this year? If she is due in May then you ought to be able to make it through a couple of weeks? I am not trying to talk you into her, but it sounds as if she would be a very good cow and the circumstances are more in her favor. It is a pretty good cross in that you will get a beefier calf to raise if she is bred to a beef bull. But if she is bred back dairy, then the calf will have more dairy characteristics.
The naturally polled interests me. Dexters are a naturally horned breed, and most jerseys are also, but there are jersey bulls now that are polled. I raised several jersey steers up that were out of a polled bull and all were polled but one and he only had very short scurs. I hadn't read where the mini jerseys were naturally polled. So I am wondering if she was just born polled. Interesting.

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do graduate in May but am not done until I pass my nursing boards in early July. The studying goes on until then. For my own benefit I'll just list the reasons I'm not ready for a cow quite yet, because I am getting impatient.

1. I'm a student and can't afford to buy her yet. Once I am working as a nurse (job is already lined up) my income will improve suddenly and positively.
2. No barn, shed, or shelter for milking and for bad weather.
3. School and work are taking almost all my time at present. I should be doing homework right now, but I'm being naughty and hanging out on BYH.

That should about cover my present situation. But my situation is about to change and then I will be FREE!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, all the reasons listed make perfect sense so I agree, it is too soon to be looking for a cow. Since I replied to the "fair Prices" post, you will see where I stand on all that. Get your degree, get your job. Then get a few things READY at home, BEFORE, you get the animal. I know that 's not the order most of us have done it at times....but if you are going to be away at work for a "shift" then you cannot be worrying about something getting loose and getting hurt or getting on the road or in the neighbors yard.
Another thing, more often you will be able to find a more reasonable deal in the fall when someone doesn't want to feed and milk a cow in the colder weather. So it may really be to your advantage to "have to wait a bit". You just sounded soooo "sold" on the one you went to see. Glad now that you were sensible enough to wait.
Honestly, I think for your first one you need to go with a "full size" animal. Less expensive, more options for breeding, and some salvage value if you should have to sell it for any reason.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Couple of suggestions. Please post where you are, like the state or something so all of us have a general idea of the climate/conditions you have. Helps when we are discussing things if you have -20 degrees or 90 degree temps!!!!
Now, since you already have a rescue pony, what are you doing for a shelter? Is it something you can split and have them share the space? Cows can get along with a single equine if it isn't too bossy, but there are always some that won't. Obviously you also must have some pasture/turnout area for it too.

I know so many are do-it-yourself types. BUT there is something to be said for the "ready to go" type of "barns" that you can find now a days. Yes they cost , but they are delivered, where you want them, and most are on a "skid" type of base, and some have very nice open stalls with a closed in "feed room" on the end for feed and hay storage. Have no idea of what you already have. But these work good for a starter, especially if you need one quick. AND, most of these places will finance, so if you get your job, then the time will not go into the building and you can get with the actual owning of the animal. They are usually pretty well built and that is one headache that you can just forget about. Put your money/time into the fencing, feed, hay, and the animal. And if not needed in the future, they can be sold and some of the investment recouped. Or moved to a different pasture/area/ whatever. We have had a few over the years and I have never been sorry for the investment. The skids also make them moveable for sanitation reasons; and say you find that the "ideal" spot for the barn has a wet weather spring next to it and winds up being muddy; you can move it when you wouldn't be able to move a permanent building. Just a suggestion. I am not trying to spend all your new found income. But there are times where some things are more practical and worth paying for some of the convenience. And I am not a big fan of payments, but there are times where the payments are lot better choice than the "making do" with a very less than desirable situation.

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
farmerjan, I guess I did sound sold on this cow. When I went to look at the cows I knew I couldn't get get one yet, but she was what I thought I was looking for. The trip to the amish farm was more to see what was available and what I needed to be prepared to pay. Once I got home I decided it was more in the spirit of homesteading to figure out a cheaper way to get what I want.

The best part of the trip was really this heifer's mother who was the first Jersey I've ever met. She was so sweet and people loving that I really feel in love with the breed. She was a mini Jersey, but I'm sure I can find a sweet natured standard Jersey. Don't worry. I will be completely ready for my cow before she comes. I just like to plan because it is fun and because when the time comes to do something the decisions have been made and I can just jump in there with both feet.

Unfortunately, the rescue pony is very bossy. Couple of years ago I had two beef steers he wouldn't stop herding and chasing around. I had to separate him away from the cattle. I will look at the starter barns, but I don't want to be the typical broke nurse I see all the time. Are they kind of like big sheds? I don't believe I've ever seen a starter barn before.

On our property is a huge old, unusable barn. I'm thinking about trying to build a usable structure out of all that free wood. I'll still look at the starter barns, though.

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
To answer your question about where I live. I am located in northeastern Indiana. The winter here can get pretty severe. An actual temp of -20 is not out of the question, it doesn't usually last too long. We have had wind chills of -30. Teens for the highs and below 0 at night is pretty normal for winter. In the summer high 80's low 90's are the norm.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't envy you your cold location!!!! Yes, the "starter barn" as I called it is more of the run-in type shed but around here they often have a "closed in" end like a feed room. They will run in the 1500 to 3000 range all according to what you want. And I have seen several that actually have stall doors and so you can put say 2 horses in separate stalls and close the doors. I was only trying to give you some alternatives to think about. Many of them are "amish" made and if you are in an area where there are amish and mennonites, then I am sure you have seen them. I am not a carpenter, my son can do most anything, but he has so much to do that I don't even ask him to do my oil changes in my vehicles. So that was why I suggested looking at them. If you have available lumber and someone to build it or help you do it, then by all means go for it.

Sounds like co-habitation with the pony is not an option.

Cows in any breed can be very affectionate. It's alot to do with how they are raised, but some have some real personalities. One of my jerseys is very affectionate, one not so. Several I can lead with their neck chains. I have a guernsey that will knock you over for a bucket if she thinks there is grain in it. I can give her some grain in the middle of the field and sit and milk her. One I cannot get near her udder until she is in the barn then it is fine. The daughter is not a people cow and I am not sure how it will go when she calves. She is getting a neck chain here shortly so she will get used to it before coming fresh. They all get "chained" in their spot when they are coming in to be milked. There are 2 that will shove everyone out of the way if they think there is a single oat or corn kernel they didn't get.

Most dairy cows that are milked in a "stanchion" type (tie stall) setting will be a bit more friendly than one from a commercial dairy. That said, you may want to check at a dairy. If they get a cow that doesn't make enough milk to justify her being there, they will get shipped. They are in the business to make milk, to make a living; and one that is a low milker will have to go to make room for one that can make them more money. I have bought several over the years that way, and they often get to be very easy to handle. Just not profitable and with the low milk prices, a farmer doesn't have room to keep cows that don't make enough milk.

I would suggest a cow that has been around a little while since they will be more likely to be "milkable" than a first time heifer. But not always. I honestly hate breaking in even my own heifers, and they are handled and somewhat used to my reaching under them to their udder etc. Just that a cow knows the ropes.

I think going and looking at different animals is a good thing.