Dexter calves....should I get one or both of them?

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
2 should fit great in the back of a pick up truck. While you have them loaded up just keep on driving right on over to my place and drop them off. :p I love Dexters and can't wait to see the pictures.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
daisychick said:
2 should fit great in the back of a pick up truck. While you have them loaded up just keep on driving right on over to my place and drop them off. :p I love Dexters and can't wait to see the pictures.
lol, well I would but you are not exactly on the way. :D I can't wait to see them! I have been reading all about the two genetic diseases these guys are prone to. I wonder if it would be smart to get a short legged heifer and a long legged bull to avoid chondro?

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The current plan is to get the heifer (possibly two heifers) and bull calf. I'll keep the bull calf for 15 months and allow him to breed the heifers. Then we will steer him and raise him on out to market size and send him to the butcher. I have been told that at that age, a Dexter bull will be pefectly good eating (I mostly like roasts and ground anyway). I intend to tame him down and teach him about hot wire early on, so he should be managable. If not.....I can always butcher him early and use a stud (2 hours away, $200 fee) to breed my heifer(s).

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This was/is a "zombie" thread that's been dead for over 8 years. The OP hasn't been on since Sept 2013. Don't expect you'll get an answer...

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This was/is a "zombie" thread that's been dead for over 8 years. The OP hasn't been on since Sept 2013. Don't expect you'll get an answer...

Yeah, I did note the 2012 part (isn't that 6?) Which is why I was curious if they ever got them since I figured enough time has passed but I did not realize that the OP hasn't been back in 5 years so thanks for letting me know that so I'm not hanging around waiting lol truth be told, I only found the thread cause it was listed below another one as a "similar thread" and it made me curious. I'm glad you let me know that though.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
6... slip of the finger. :oops: If you see a post like this, you can click on the OP's name (anyone's name actually) and call up their profile and on the left side it will show when they were last on. Unless they have folks blocked, in which case, you'll see nothing.

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
6... slip of the finger. :oops: If you see a post like this, you can click on the OP's name (anyone's name actually) and call up their profile and on the left side it will show when they were last on. Unless they have folks blocked, in which case, you'll see nothing.

I figured it was just a typo! Sorry, I probably came off a little rude there. And thanks, that's helpful