Dexter Cattle

MenagerieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been searching for Dexter breeders for a while, and realize this breed is hard to come by. We are interested in having a house cow with possibly raising the offspring for meat. I've heard Dexter's can't be surpassed in cream and marbling for meat, and dressed out retain over 60% of their weight...the best of both worlds in a dual purpose compact size.

I would be ecstatic to find Dexter cattle breeders and enthusiasts to share their stories and help put the Dexter breed on the map. :)

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know where in CNY you are, but up in South Otselic a fellow by the name of Michael Foor-Pessin has Dexters -- he's on the ad page from the link Okie Amazon posted. We looked into Dexters last year. My mom wants to breed our Jersey cow to a Dexter, hoping of course for a heifer.

Good luck! :)

MenagerieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lothiriel said:
I don't know where in CNY you are, but up in South Otselic a fellow by the name of Michael Foor-Pessin has Dexters -- he's on the ad page from the link Okie Amazon posted. We looked into Dexters last year. My mom wants to breed our Jersey cow to a Dexter, hoping of course for a heifer.

Good luck! :)
Oh, I'll look for him! Thank you! The Jersey x Dexter would make for an excellent house cow. We've been flip flopping which breed we'd like to try first...you can't go wrong with Jerseys! If I found that mix for sale, I'd be all over it like white on rice. :D

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
A Dexter is just about the perfect house cow. If you are just looking for a cow to provide you milk and possibly so cheese or cream needs then I would always recommend a Dexter.

MenagerieMama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
77Herford said:
A Dexter is just about the perfect house cow. If you are just looking for a cow to provide you milk and possibly so cheese or cream needs then I would always recommend a Dexter.
:thumbsup Don't forget the BUTTER! :D

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Im also looking into Dexter cattle, So Im gonna tag along here. How long does it take to get a Dexter to butcher weight.