Dexter Cattle

Nachoqtpie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hahaha!! Well... I guess I have clippers and am used to clipping horses... clipping some teets can't be THAT much different than shaving my husbands head... right?? :lol:

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Nachoqtpie said:
So wait.... I thought Dexters were supposed to have easy calving and be exceptional mothers? From WildRoseBeef's page it looks like they aren't that good for calving or mothering? We're researching for our future farmette and the very first breed that was suggested was Dexter.
I'm a little confused now!
They're average for mothering (however they can be culled and bred to be better mothers: all it takes is a bit of culling management), but as far as calving ease is concerned, that might be an error on the part of the book that I got the information from. It sure doesn't make sense that Dexters can give birth to tiny calves but have calving problems with them. Thanks for catching that, I'll make the corrections (and I think the minimal management may need correcting too) as necessary. :)

Nachoqtpie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
AH!
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if there are more books available about the Dexters?
The husband keeps asking me why I want combo cows if we're going to have dairy goats. Maybe we will just have combos of all the animals we have! :p

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Not dexters specifically, but I do know of a good book on backyard livestock. It's called The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals and is a great book for someone like yourself who's looking to raising livestock on a small scale. I own a copy of it btw, and it's one of the most helpful books (in addition to Beef Cattle Science and Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle) I have. :)

Nachoqtpie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Awesome!! I have their other book! I put it in my wishlist so that way I'll remember it when I have some extra dough! :-D

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
Nachoqtpie said:
So wait.... I thought Dexters were supposed to have easy calving and be exceptional mothers? From WildRoseBeef's page it looks like they aren't that good for calving or mothering? We're researching for our future farmette and the very first breed that was suggested was Dexter.
I'm a little confused now!
They're average for mothering (however they can be culled and bred to be better mothers: all it takes is a bit of culling management), but as far as calving ease is concerned, that might be an error on the part of the book that I got the information from. It sure doesn't make sense that Dexters can give birth to tiny calves but have calving problems with them. Thanks for catching that, I'll make the corrections (and I think the minimal management may need correcting too) as necessary. :)
The info below may help answer that calving issue. Quite common in many lines so the chart is probably accurate.

Bulldog Dwarfism (Chondrodysplasia)

Inheritance of a form of chondrodysplasia known as bulldog dwarfism has been documented in Dexter cattle since the early 1900s. Among other defects, affected fetuses have severe disproportionate dwarfism, short vertebral column and a large head, and are naturally aborted around the seventh month of gestation. The defect is a major problem for Dexter breeders, as one copy of the defective allele produces the favored short-legged phenotype of Dexter cattle. Thus, selection for the preferred Dexter phenotype maintains a lethal allele in high frequency in the population. Breeding carrier animals together will produce 25% affected fetuses.

Research by investigators in Australia determined that the bulldog dwarfism in Dexters is caused by two mutations in the aggrecan gene (ACAN). The most common mutation is BD1 (2266_2267ins-GGCA). A second mutation in the same gene BD2 (198C>T) accounts for bulldog dwarfism in one particular bull lineage. A diagnostic test for BD1 has been developed and is available to help Dexter breeders avoid production of bulldog calves.

dreamriver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
oooh, just found this posting.

I love my Dexters. One of my girls does have longish hair on her udder, but it was never a problem for milking. We currently have 12, just butchered a few and they are very delicious!!! We are raising them for breeding stock, meat and dairy.

Chondrodysplasia is often made out to be a huge issue in Dexters ( and a few other breeds) however if you have had your bull ( or bull you may use) tested to be free of the gene then it is a VERY, Very small chance that you will have what is considered a 'bulldog' calf. Many of the previous calves considered bulldogs may in fact have been affected by PHA another genetic issue but the same advice for chondro is recommended as well. The term short leg is also used somewhat interchangably with chondro. I do have one cow that carries for chondro but I keep her as she throws wonderful calves and has only calved one 'shortleg' in 5 calvings.

I am located in Minnesota, and would be happy to discuss the breed, feel free to pm or email as I don't often check on byh.
I have all three colors of the Dexters, dun, black and red horned and polled

Deb
dreamriverfarm.blogspot.com

Crazy Acres

Reaction score
We have at this moment 2 dexter heifers (one living on our farm, the other living with the breeder and his bull ;) ) They do very well on range. They are calm, easy to handle, and are the only breed I know with which you need to use a carjack to milk! :lol:
I think they come in a color or two more than just Dunn, Red and Black, but I haven't seen any.

CAMilkmaid

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have raised Dexters since 2003. They are excellent mothers and I've never had an issue with birthing or heard of any breeder who has. I milk my cows. In the winter, some have hair on the udder, which can be clipped. There are 2 other registries which can be searched for breeders. One is the PDCA, the other Legacy. The issue with chondro or bulldog calves can be managed. The old timers simply never bred short to short, instead always bred their carriers (short) cattle to non carrier (long legged). This eliminates the risk. There are tests now available for Chondro and PHA.

HTH,
Kim

Star.Rose Ranch
Guinda CA