1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

DH & Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Discussion in 'Me, My Herd, My Family' started by Baymule, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Feb 8, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Today is the day! We have to be at the hospital at 2:00 for his surgery at 4:00. Nothing to eat or drink since midnight. This has been a long journey. We started with knee replacement surgery in 2015, but he failed his stress test and was sent to the hospital for heart catheterization, which he also spectacularly failed. The Dr was back out in a few minutes to tell me that my husband had 95% blockage in 3 arteries. I said, well he needs surgery then doesn't he. The Dr replied, Glad you see it that way, let's wake him up and tell him. He could have dropped dead at any moment. He was admitted to the hospital and had open heart surgery 2 days later. This was followed by recovery and physical therapy. Then he had oral surgery. He finally got Knee replacement surgery August 2016 and once again, we went the therapy route.

He is now having his shoulder surgery. It pops out of socket all the time and I pop it back in. It is a constant source of pain and misery. This will be the longest recovery and therapy yet. The Dr said 8 weeks in a sling and no usage of the arm, except therapy. Naturally it is his right arm and he is right handed. We bought him elastic waist banded sports pants so I won't have to unzip his blue jeans for......well.....you know. :lol:

He is dreading the long recovery, inactivity, and not being able to use his arm. I keep telling him how great it will be when he has recovered and he no longer hurts. His knee surgery was fantastic. He can actually run again and he can bend the new knee better than he can bend his other knee. Looking forward to recovery and wellness.

2. Feb 8, 2017
    norseofcourse

norseofcourse Herd Master

Hope everything goes well!

3. Feb 8, 2017
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader Herd Master

Hope all goes well, we'll be thinking of you up here!

4. Feb 8, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Sure do hope all goes well, just keep us Posted with the progress....Thoughts and Prayers for a swift recovery. :thumbsup
    Btw, put a smile on DH's face and tell him I saw the video he was referring to...:)

5. Feb 8, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Absolutely have ya'll in my thoughts and prayers. Rehab will be a witch - but it'll be worth it to get him back in good working order! Hang in there, gal! :hugs

6. Feb 8, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I hope everything goes well. Prayers headed your way. :thumbsup

7. Feb 8, 2017
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

@Baymule, please remember to take care of yourself during this time. Won't do anyone any good if you are not 100%. My thoughts and prayers are with both of you today and in the future.

Devonviolet likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2017
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

Ya know, I think this is one occasion where we don't really need pictures. Ya know what I mean? Just saying.

9. Feb 8, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Hope all goes well!

10. Feb 8, 2017
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Has DH ever heard the phrase "busy as a one armed paper hanger"?
    Well that will be him for awhile. I bet he finds LOTS of stuff he can do with only his left arm. Step 1 will be fun, learning to eat and write with the "wrong" hand. You can cut his meat just like you do for the younger grandchildren ;)

Also, you may recall that Senator Bob Dole lost the use of one arm in WWII, still going at 93. DH can do this for a few months :)