DH & Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today is the day! We have to be at the hospital at 2:00 for his surgery at 4:00. Nothing to eat or drink since midnight. This has been a long journey. We started with knee replacement surgery in 2015, but he failed his stress test and was sent to the hospital for heart catheterization, which he also spectacularly failed. The Dr was back out in a few minutes to tell me that my husband had 95% blockage in 3 arteries. I said, well he needs surgery then doesn't he. The Dr replied, Glad you see it that way, let's wake him up and tell him. He could have dropped dead at any moment. He was admitted to the hospital and had open heart surgery 2 days later. This was followed by recovery and physical therapy. Then he had oral surgery. He finally got Knee replacement surgery August 2016 and once again, we went the therapy route.

He is now having his shoulder surgery. It pops out of socket all the time and I pop it back in. It is a constant source of pain and misery. This will be the longest recovery and therapy yet. The Dr said 8 weeks in a sling and no usage of the arm, except therapy. Naturally it is his right arm and he is right handed. We bought him elastic waist banded sports pants so I won't have to unzip his blue jeans for......well.....you know. :lol:

He is dreading the long recovery, inactivity, and not being able to use his arm. I keep telling him how great it will be when he has recovered and he no longer hurts. His knee surgery was fantastic. He can actually run again and he can bend the new knee better than he can bend his other knee. Looking forward to recovery and wellness.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure do hope all goes well, just keep us Posted with the progress....Thoughts and Prayers for a swift recovery. :thumbsup
Btw, put a smile on DH's face and tell him I saw the video he was referring to...:)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely have ya'll in my thoughts and prayers. Rehab will be a witch - but it'll be worth it to get him back in good working order! Hang in there, gal! :hugs

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, I think this is one occasion where we don't really need pictures. Ya know what I mean? Just saying.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has DH ever heard the phrase "busy as a one armed paper hanger"?
Well that will be him for awhile. I bet he finds LOTS of stuff he can do with only his left arm. Step 1 will be fun, learning to eat and write with the "wrong" hand. You can cut his meat just like you do for the younger grandchildren ;)

Also, you may recall that Senator Bob Dole lost the use of one arm in WWII, still going at 93. DH can do this for a few months :)